London (change)
Tue 9°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 9°C
12 messages
26/04/2013 at 08:50

Hi,

I have a weird problem. Our lawn used to be sad and thin and yellow, and barely worth the name.

Then I oversowed with really good grass seed mixed with clover, and the lawn became incredibly lush and fast growing and beautiful. It is just the perfect lawn now and so fast growing that I have to mow twice a week. It's the most amazingly magnificent looking lawn.

The problem is that my son and I are getting very bad perennial rhinitis from the lush juicy smell of the grass. It is so bad that we can't go out for much more then an hour in still weather.

I think I am going to have to get rid of this very vigorous lawn grass and somehow re-sow with sad, slow growing grass like the stuff we had before. The question is, how do I get rid of the grass while still having the garden safe and enjoyable for my two year old, and where do I find reliably sad, slow growing grass seed?

I gather that roundup/glyphosate is not going to work because of the toxic effects on children.

Black weed suppressing membrane is an option but would be a bit ugly and would have to be in place for a long time.

I could till the ground repeatedly, which sounds fun if I had a tiller, or I could burn off the grass repeatedly using a Big Flame Gun. This also sounds fun.

Does anybody have any experience of this sort of problem?

Thanks,

Jen 

26/04/2013 at 09:49

Glyphosate is the answer, unless you are 100% organic.  Just keep children and pets off the lawn for 4 hours. If glyphosate was toxic to children then it would not be on sale in every garden centre and DIY store in the country. 

Very few weedkillers (if any) have zero toxicity, but then the same can be said for most of the kitchen chemicals in your home. They just need to be used in line with the instructions. 

26/04/2013 at 10:22

Absolutely agree 100% with the last post-there is a lot of mis-information out there-I wonder where Jennifer you obtained the info about toxicity??

Also on a side-note I assume you have had this condition checked out and it is the grass or whatever causing it-it sounds as though living a normal outdoor life is difficult?

26/04/2013 at 10:35

Might sounds counder intuitive, but are you cutting the grass very short? Supposedly if you leave it longer it grows slower and needs cutting less. If you are not bothered about the lawn as such, you could sow some yellow rattle into it, which will weaken the grass growth. 

26/04/2013 at 11:37

Perhaps it's not the grass causing you these problems 

Are you sure?

Showing my ignorance now, but hopefully my concern too, but do antihistamines not help?  The hay fever season is starting.....any connection?

26/04/2013 at 13:00

Verd-I've heard that it's the tree pollen which causes most of the problems early in the year-perhaps that's the reason.

Jen-perhaps you could remove the grass but put something else green in it's place- thyme/ chamomile etc-or do these cause you problems too?

26/04/2013 at 19:55

Thanks for the comments. Very interesting about sowing yellow rattle. I hadn't heard of that. I keep the grass very short because we lawned over a heavy infestation of bindweed, and keeping the grass short means that the bindweed gets cut too. I am definitely staying 100% organic. If anybody had any organic suggestions for removing or hobbling the grass I'm all ears. For the other questions - yes I'm sure; no there is no other solution. Thanks!

26/04/2013 at 20:11

I think that what we need is a large number of rent-a-rabbits

26/04/2013 at 20:26

. . . . . or a goat!  Your son might love that too.  

27/04/2013 at 16:59

A goat would be excellent!

27/04/2013 at 17:16

A small flock of sheep Jen! 

29/04/2013 at 13:55

Sheep also splendid. Guinea pigs are also very efficient of couse.

email image
12 messages