London (change)
Today 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 18°C
7 messages
09/07/2013 at 16:02

Hi, I'm not sure if I have a problem or not really! I've grown a mix of veg & tomatoes both outside in the garden and in my conservatory. Both indoor and outdoor Courgettes are fruiting and I've had some very tasty meals from them already. The indoor French beans also doing well, though not a huge yield. The indoor tomatoes are fruiting and just have the first signs of ripening now too.

However, the indoor Courgette plant's lower leaves are now almost completely yellow, after turning more pale and lime coloured for a while. One of my five indoor tomatoes has leaves which are now going pale brown at the points and edges. It also has fruit on it and looks fine apart from this. To be on the safe side I've popped it outside for now, away from everything else.

My conservatory has two doors which have both been open during the hot weather, or one door open on cooler days - both closed on chilly days and at night. The plants are all in large pots and I have been watering every morning. I was feeding the tomatoes with dedicated tomato feed, but ran out and have since been using Miracle Gro plant food once a week.

Do I need to worry about these leaf changes? I have looked at various sites re diseases etc but it gets very confusing for a novice like myself!

I'm loving growing my own food and just annoyed that I didn't plant more things in the Spring. I'll be trying all sorts of things next year - or is there anything I can still start growing at this stage?

Sorry for all the questions, but any advice gratefully received.

09/07/2013 at 16:07

I think the air is too dry for them.  Do you spray the leaves with water?  

Lyn
09/07/2013 at 18:25

I think courgettes and french beans should be outside.

09/07/2013 at 21:51

Thanks Welshonion - I was spraying with water but I have to confess that I've not done so for a while. I will start again tomorrow!

Lyn, my French Beans are doing fine inside....all the leaves are perfect and the beans are great, just not a large crop! The indoor Courgette has produced gorgeous "fruit" and seems really healthy except for the lowest leaves. As far as I was aware they are okay for inside - according to some websites I read. My outdoor ones are doing okay but have smaller leaves and are quite contorted compared to the indoor one.I'll keep a close eye on them!Many thanks

09/07/2013 at 21:57
Lindsay4 wrote (see)

.... Lyn, my French Beans are doing fine inside....all the leaves are perfect and the beans are great, just not a large crop!....

I'm afraid that's probably down to the fact that you're going to get fewer insects pollinating your beans in the greenhouse. 

10/07/2013 at 08:54

Lindsay, I'd suggest that you're both overwatering and overfeeding the toms, especially if they're in large pots. It's preferable to water as required rather than by rote. Let the mix dry out between waterings. They also shouldn't need fertilising more than once a month. Toms perform at their best when left to struggle a little. It's a fine line, obviously, but "controlled neglect" is the way to go.

10/07/2013 at 08:57

Thanks Dovefromabove, I plumped for mainly conservatory grown crops this time after the darned slugs got nearly everything last year....including every single French bean plant in one night! I do go round everything with a paintbrush transferring pollen, though I do also get quite a few bees flying in and out of the conservatory.

email image
7 messages