Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Leaf damage - whitefly? Sawfly?

I'm finding this damage on plants including foxglove, Verbena, and (pictured) Salvia 'Amistad'. Very annoying; it has really badly affected my Verbena bonariensis seedlings.I'm still not sure what's causing it, I had assumed sawfly as my culinary sage plants were affected earlier this year. But I just disturbed a couple of whiteflies sat on the underside of leaves in my cold frame. Is whitefly causing this?

"What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbour". 

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Not sawfly larvae. When they start they eat right through and leave nothingimage

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,698

Thanks... so... whitefly you reckon?

• DorsetUKDorsetUK Posts: 441

Definitely not sawfly, very neat chewers and thorough with it

• Yep, looks like whitefly damage to me.  The larvae are sap-suckers, just like greenfly only much smaller.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,698

Thanks Bob. I've tried spraying the individual plants, but the hedges around here seem to be infested with whitefly so it looks like I'm going to struggle with this one. Would a cold snap help get rid of them over winter?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Yes image  Let's hope we get one!

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.