Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Leaf mould

Just back from a lovely Caribbean cruise (sighhhhh) and went out into the garden today to do an autumn tidy-up.  Lots of leaves to collect from the borders, and just wondering - last year's leaves which I collected into black bin bags, have rotted down quite well.  Should I put them on the borders as a mulch, or dig them in?

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

You can do either. I'd dig them in.

• PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

I would keep it until spring then use it in my potting mix, leaf mould is pure gold not to be squandered as mulch.

Frank.

• OK, thank you both.  Maybe I'll just keep it till Spring then Palaisglide.  There's not really a great deal - amazing how a full bag of leaves shrinks down, lol.

• I have tried to make leaf mould from mainly beech leaves for several yrs but find it takes several years to produce a useable mulch. Can any one provide helpful advice. Do I need to add anything or regularly turn the leaves to produce something within 12 mths? Thanks.

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

Some leaves take longer than others to rot Michael.

• PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

Michael a mix of leaves is the answer they decay a differing speeds thus helping the rest or harder leaves to decay. If you black bag them then stick your fork into the bag in several places to let the air in, if you have a wire cage then just drop a lid off old carpet on the top, the air gets in the sides. Yes a lot of leaves make a small amount of leaf mould though in this area the lanes are lined with trees so you can fill a cage easily.

Beech and Oak are best and for those who do not know leaf mould looks like peat and can be used as you would peat, it holds its fertility, lovely stuff.

Frank.