Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Leaf mulch in dalek bin

I have a couple of dalek compost bins I use for leaf mould but it breaks down veeeeeeery slowly. I know leaf mould is slow anyway, but this has been cooking for a few years now.

I occasionally water it, but I'm wondering if I'd be better just leaving the lid off? The bin sits on earth, though it's rather compacted.

• Those bins are a very ineffective way of composting unless air can get into the mix.  It'll take a lo-o-ng time.  It helps to turn the mix, aerate it, especially in the first weeks. To aid the process, try and include some twiggy stuff, lavender prunings, hedge clippings (stuff without thorns, for your comfort), which will keep the mix open.  Leaves tend to lay too flat sometimes.

H-C  

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

I mix mine with grass cuttings and stir it up from time to time.

• JudyNJudyN Posts: 119

Do the grass cuttings speed it up? I do stir it occasionally.

They're mainly oak leaves, with some sycamore - and whatever else ends up in our garden.

Mine are mainly oak. If I leave oak in open builders bags it takes three years  to make leaf mould with turning once a year. Mixed up with grass cuttings, they heat up and make compost in a year, I start the mix in builders bags then turn into a dalek then two daleks into a tardis.

image Compost corner.

• treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,923

I just pile mine in a corner and leave them too it (no pun intended) they rot down primarily due to fungi action so need to be kept damp and undisturbed, oxygen is no problem as the fungi mycelium can get to air on the edge of the pile and if you keep turning them you can kill the fungi off.

Oak leaves are fairly tough so they will take a long time to break down so mixing grass clippings in when you make the pile might kick start the fungi

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

Do you rake the leaves up, or mow them up? Mowing breaks them up and speeds it up hugely. 

I have to confess, Mine always has grass in it and I find it useable as a mulch the following spring. 

Not " leafmould" per se, but very much fit for purpose.

Devon.