London (change)
Today 15°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 12°C
4 messages
25/08/2012 at 16:59

Hi all

Having problem with leaf spot on escallonia bush.  This is the second year with leaf spot.  It has affected the lower section of the bush.  The top half grows quite high into tree and is not affected at all.  Leaves dropping off and leavng the lower branches bare.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

26/08/2012 at 15:07

Hi Carol

There is no sprays to cure this disease, you can help control it by clearing up the leaves that drop, and feeding the plant may help strengthen the plant, probably a bit late for that now wait for spring.  For some details there is a link below.

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=108

27/08/2012 at 17:18

Thanks for that Jeff.  Will take your advice.  Such a lovely shrub but quite devastated by the leaf spot except for up high, which is still quite healthy.  Some sunshine might help also - not getting much of that here in Northern Ireland. 

Thank you again

22/03/2014 at 16:59

This is a problem I have in my coastal garden in the East Neuk of Fife. about four years ago noticed it on one plant at the end of a long established  Escallonia hedge, then next season a slight exhibition of symptoms in another some distance along the same hedge. This autumn the entire 124ft of 8ft high hedge became almost completely defoliated, those few leaves clinging on showing the dark spots with tiny white dots in the middle.

This winter has been wet and dull certainly, but paradoxically other specimen Escallonia varieties elsewhere in the garden -  Iveyii and Macrcatha - less hardy here, normally do thin out and look sickly over winter have remained noticeably verdant and healthy this year! Perhaps this is because it has been mild. The hedge is now sprouting new growth.

The prospect of grubbing up such a long run of a beloved hedge is daunting. I wonder why this has suddenly manifested itself and whether there is any possibility of natural recovery long term. The practicalities of spraying such a massive hedge seems impractical.

email image
4 messages