Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Leaf spots

My young hollyhocks (I hope that's what they are) have orange yucky looking spots on them.  At the moment I have just removed the worst leaf, but I'd be interested to know what it is, is it terminal, do I have to do more than just remove leaves? 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Afraid that's hollyhock rust image  not usually terminal but disfiguring.  Various methods of control here http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Profile.aspx?pid=564 

Remove affected leaves and burn. 

In the past I've found that hollyhocks grown in poor ground without the use of fertilisers manage to avoid succumbing to rust far better than those grown in rich soils with the use of fertilisers. 

Good luck. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• flowering roseflowering rose Posts: 1,632

Rust and its fatal.

• KirstyB2KirstyB2 Posts: 47

imageOh no! Please don't spare my feelings flowering rose. I'll take a look at the web link and hope for the best.  Thanks for the identification and advice.

Hmm, it is damp here and I've maybe crowded the plant a bit. I guess if a pant isn't right for a place it lets you know.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

I had to give up growing them because of rust, Kirsty.  They used to grow fine many years ago but it seems the air pollution back then (sulphurous smoke from burning coal) actually helped protect against it.  I have tried spraying with fungicide from seeding emergence to adulthood, different soil types and planting aspects, and pots.  Nothing prevented rust finally killing the plants, but some of them did get to produce nice flowers, although the ugly rusted leaves and stems always took away a lot of the pleasure.  The good news is there are lots of other plants so I don't miss them too much! image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Hmm, I've usually managed to enjoy hollyhocks for a few years (2 or 3 at least) before they turn up their toes.   Then I have a break from them from a few years, and then have another go. image

But as I said, I do find that growing them hard and tough in poor soil does help.  I've not tried them in the lovely soil in this garden.  

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

Sadly this was only its second year. I shall have to see it as an opportunity to try something else.