London (change)
Today 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 11°C
41 to 43 of 43 messages
31/07/2014 at 22:44

Good luck with it Lyn.

28/08/2014 at 14:47

Hello again all. Our revamped pond is coming on a treat & is looking good. A friend of ours who lives app 5mls away had all his fish (19) taken by a heron whilst he was away for a short period, (forgot to lay his netting) We'd never seen one in our neck of the woods until last week when we spotted one sat atop a near neighbours roof. After watching it for some time it still hadn't moved a muscle. I have a very fine, black nylon net stretched taut across the pond to catch the falling leaves from the trees behind & it's hardly detectable, now of course it's serving a dual purpose with a heron around. Okay now the reason for the thread. Does anyone have an opinion on these pond vacs? Can't decide whether to invest in one or not. The UV filter that's running 24/7 does get a helluva lot of detritus in it's 2 sponge filters etc. & I'm removing & cleaning it maybe every 6 weeks or so. So thought about these vacs & am looking for some input, the only reviews I have seen have been from manufactures.  

Thanks in advance.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/57838.jpg?width=480&height=350&mode=max

29/07/2015 at 14:06

Hi, I am having a similar problem with my 20 foot x 12 foot garden pond.  I put on my waders and spent three days looking for the leak.  This was made more difficult due to the fact that two sides have 15 inch overhanging paving. I had no success but I then realised that there were a couple of longer folds in the liner near to one corner.  Whilst the waer level was low this did not cause a problem but when topped up the weight of the water squeezed these folds tightly together and caused capillary action which was drawing water from the pond at an alarming rate.

i notice in your photograph that you have similar folds at 5 o'clock and 8 o'clock and wonder if you may be having the same problem.

i think that it is worth a look.

my pond is about 25 years old and this is the first time that there has been a leakage problem I was really worried due to the size of some of the original tiddlers, now nearly 24 inches long and about 12 inches girth, they produce a dozen or so baby koi each year now but do not like the water level to drop during the mating period as the temperature of the pond rises very quickly.

email image
41 to 43 of 43 messages