London (change)
Today 20°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 14°C
4 messages
20/05/2012 at 22:38

got some top soil for raised beds ,loaded the beds ...only to find it was infested with leatherjackets,,planned to put vegetables in ..looked up ways to get rid of these by covering soil with black plastic over night and they will rise to the surface ,,but is this the best way to get rid of them or is there another way to do this..ie chemical based solution..and will i still be able to plant vegetables in this soil after..if not advised to what can i plant ..can anyone please help me

21/05/2012 at 09:45

There is a product by Provado designed to treat lawns, but you won't be able to grow food in the ground for at least a season afterwards. You could try planting up with flowers to avoid having empty beds for so long - ornamentals would be unaffected.

21/05/2012 at 13:08

@simon.. yeah the plastic sheetin is the best way..  where did you get the top soil from.. as i thought they only appeared under the lawn..

21/05/2012 at 20:52

thanks guys ...soil was from a quarry...prob the top soil from field which i take it is were leatherjackets came from ,,just spent day turning over the whole raised bed and picked them out one by one ..now its covered over with plastic sheeting to draw out any i may have missed ...any more suggestions would be still grateful ..simon..

email image
4 messages