Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Leylandi hedging

Hi there

Has anyone else experienced a lot of browning on their leylandi hedging over the last winter?  I suspect it's the south winds because a couple of our neighbours have the same problem but only one side of the hedge.  Am I right in thinking that once they go brown, that's it?  Our 14 foot hedging will take some replacing image

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Yes, sorry Charlie. There are no spare, resting, buds to make more leaves on conifers. Once they've gone that's it. But if the trees are still alive you could grow a climber through the dead bit

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • flowering roseflowering rose Posts: 1,632

yes ,I was only saying to my husband that our hedge was dying or at least part of it, I wonder if it is a virus as other trees around have this .I have already lost a lilac to  a virus ,wonder if it is same thing.

• Suze4Suze4 Posts: 3

I have a leylandii hedge ( well I used to have ) it's now being slowly reduced to twigs - I have been told that it is a small white fly ( some say from South Africa ) which is eating conifers the length and breadth of the country - when you are out and about you will see that everyones' hedges are being attacked and apparently there is nothing that can be done - I have used an insecticide spray but to no avail