London (change)
Today 9°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 10°C
4 messages
29/03/2014 at 13:53

Hi there

Has anyone else experienced a lot of browning on their leylandi hedging over the last winter?  I suspect it's the south winds because a couple of our neighbours have the same problem but only one side of the hedge.  Am I right in thinking that once they go brown, that's it?  Our 14 foot hedging will take some replacing

29/03/2014 at 13:57

Yes, sorry Charlie. There are no spare, resting, buds to make more leaves on conifers. Once they've gone that's it. But if the trees are still alive you could grow a climber through the dead bit

29/03/2014 at 20:18

yes ,I was only saying to my husband that our hedge was dying or at least part of it, I wonder if it is a virus as other trees around have this .I have already lost a lilac to  a virus ,wonder if it is same thing.

02/04/2014 at 11:24

I have a leylandii hedge ( well I used to have ) it's now being slowly reduced to twigs - I have been told that it is a small white fly ( some say from South Africa ) which is eating conifers the length and breadth of the country - when you are out and about you will see that everyones' hedges are being attacked and apparently there is nothing that can be done - I have used an insecticide spray but to no avail

email image
4 messages