Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Leylandii help?

Hello forum - first time here, hope someone can advise?  Came home from a morning out to find our neighbours had started to cut down their side of a joint leylandii hedge and were making massive holes in our side too.  Turns out their side is dead as a dodo and they say has been since they moved in over five years ago.  I have two questions - first, could their side have been dead for that long without any sign on our side (although this summer had just started to notice the odd small brown patch) and does anyone have any ideas on how to save our side?  We don't like the hedge but we've just put our house on the market so any big expense would be a nuisance.  We've always got on with these neighbours since they moved in and are at a loss why they never mentioned this before or even why they didn't say something before they started hacking away!  Any help/advice very welcome.  Many thanks.

• Leylandii won't regrow from old wood - chances are the previous owners trimmed it hard back and it's just never regrown since.

• Mark56Mark56 Posts: 1,653

The neighbours on the other side to us have completely dead Leylandii because he went with the hack it to death mentality and it obviously never regrew. However, our side is lush green but it does make it thinner not having both sides alive. 

Last edited: 17 September 2016 15:30:27

• Thanks everyone for your help/advice.  We have started to cut it down to around 4/5 feet and see how that goes as it really is quite healthy on our side but I think Tetley you may have the right idea and we should just get rid of it and put a fence in.  Again,many thanks to you all. Annie.

• I think Tetley's right - I would certainly think more than twice about buying a house with a leylandii hedge unless it was in superb condition.  There are many such hedges around here, most of which have been well-looked after in the past, but almost all of them have seen better days and are developing brown patches and other problems and need taking out and replacing.  

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.