Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Leylandii

My single leylandii is now huge.  Don't know how it got so big but it is huge.  It is now overshadowing my garden but it is super as a post for my hammock.

What options do I have for reducing its size to about half?  Had it trimmed a few years ago but it has expanded sideways now and it cost me a fortune then.  Just wish the old chap at bottom of garden had not been so generous in giving me that tiny plant over 40 years ago!!

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

I'd get a tree surgeon in, have it professionally removed and stump removed . It will open up a huge space you didn't realise. The opportunities then are endless.

• addictaddict Posts: 659

I had several leylandii I inherited when we moved house. They ran half way along one fence on the inside image no idea why. Looked awful so called in tree surgeon he removed all bar two which he cut down to about 10ft. I stripped all the branches and used them as gate posts. They lasted a good 7 years and looked pretty good like that. Might be worth doing that so you still have somewhere to hang your hammock.

• Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,488

If Leylandii are not trimmed regularly then suddenly cutting them just looks awful. I would just replace them with something more in keeping.