Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Lilac cutting.

I took a lilac cutting in the early summer and it has thrown up a single stem which is now (October) over 2m tall. I've re-potted twice to keep up with it but it does resemble an Ivy or creeper as it spirals around the cane. Is this normal behavior? I'm hoping to end up with a 2m tall bush - how do I prepare it for its first Winter? Do I pinch out the top buds, cut it back lower or leave it alone?  The cutting came from an established lilac (I don't know what type) that is growing in a 4m high hedge amongst conifers. It does resemble a tree rather than a bush, and I guessed the competition had forced it to grow this way. Now, I'm not sure.    Many thanks,   Steve

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

To achieve a bushier plant you need to cut it back to a pair of buds lower down the stem steve. The lower you go the bushier it will become. I'd have cut it down to 8 to 12 inches months ago. Cutting out the growing point will force it to produce new growth lower down. It will go dormant once we get the first frosts, and cutting now could let the frost into any new cut, so I'd put it to one side for now and in spring cut it back hard, feed it, and it will grow away next year.

• Dave,

Thanks ever-so much. I've been wondering what to do for ages and thought about cutting it back, but I didn't want to lose it. Now I know - I'll leave it over-Winter and do as you suggest next Spring.

Once again, many thanks.