Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Lilac tree prolem

Hi everyone. A lot of the leaves on my Lilac look like this and are falling. I have no idea of the age of the tree but it's about 15ft tall , I was wondering if anyone has any idea what could be causing it? Thank you. 

• Rinus KRinus K Posts: 67

Have you found white caterpillars on the brown leaves? If so try to pick the dead leaves away. But your tree is quite high so that's maybe a problem.

There is no reason to be afraid it occurs next year again.

• No I haven't seen any white caterpillars, I will have a look but as you say the tree is quite tall and  the top seems to be the worst affected. I don't think it will be possible to take the leaves off so I guess waiting until next year is probably the only option. Thank you for your help.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

It could be lilac blight. Have you let it get too dry?

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • Hi, I did wonder if it might have got dry, we have had a very dry summer and I have never actively watered it as it's very established. Will it get over it? I have never heard of lilac blight.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

Lilacs are greedy thirsty plants. I give mine a couple of watering cans full when the weather is dry.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.