Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Lilly pollen

Is there a tool or gadget on the market for removing Lilly pollen stems before they drop the pollen all over the leaves and surfaces ????????

Whenever I try, I get covered in the highly staining pollen !!!!!

• If you get the anthers when the lilies have only just opened they are less messy. I often just use a tissue to prevent the pollen on my hands. You could use disposable gloves.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Try the Long Reach type nail scissors with a newspaper spread underneath. image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

I use a damp tissue and tweezers.

• scissors

• Thanks all..... I'll try all of the ideas ????
  • hogweedhogweed Posts: 4,053
    I just use a tissue, grab them all at once and pull. Job done.
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • If you do get pollen on your clothes try cello tape first. Press the sticky

tape on to the stain and blott off as much as possible. If still there I try dabbing it with nail varnish remover, but this can be a problem with some materials. especially man made fibres.

If I remove the pollen stamens will it deprive the bees or do they just go for the nectar ? I usually get them off when the buds first open to save getting messy.
  • hogweedhogweed Posts: 4,053
    I only remove the stamens on lilies I have in a vase - not on ones in the garden.
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller