Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Lily beetle

I need some advice before I have just soggy stalks in place of my regale lilies! I have never had as much trouble as I have this year from this beetle  image (and such a pretty thing too!!)

And, I presume its the larvae? Slug like in looks and feel, urghh !

On a recent tv gardening program, a lady who grew lilies commercially, advised a spray of garlic 'juice'. She didn't say any more than that so I don't know quantities or how to make up? Would growing galic near the lilies do the same? Has anyone here any useful ways of keeping the critters down, organically, please?

• image I saw the same programme as yourself, I have crushed one clove of garlic to 1 pnt of water, and put it in spray bottle, I am hoping for the best and hope it works. If not I will have to resort to beetle killer.Can only try. all the best.

• Thank you greenfingers. We had a good garlic crop so can spare a clove or two image especially if it saves my lovely lilies!

• marigold2marigold2 Posts: 8
    I was given the following recipe for a garlic wash for hostas. guess it wouild do the same for lillies

Crush 2 bulbs of garlic and steam or boil in 2 pints of water for a few minutes until blanched. Strain and top up to 2 pints,

Leave to cool and when ready to use, mix a tablespoon in a gallon of water and

spray on leaves in late afternoon in dry weather.

This will need repeating avery 2 weeks
  • LeggiLeggi Posts: 489

Using a spray of Vegetable Oil has worked for me this year.

• diggingdorisdiggingdoris Posts: 513

I don;t usually like using sprays but where my lilies are concerned I just have to use Provado. One spray around April time and so far fingers crossed I have not seen one beetle. I had one year when they were all decimated and I vowed never to let that happen again. I LOVE my lilies!

Might try the garlic spray next year as I've grown quite a few this year, so I'll try not to eat them all.

• LORELEILORELEI Posts: 128
    It's funny is'nt it how one area can be hit by bugs one year and another year not so bad. Last year was bad for me with the red lily beetle, yet this year hardly any. I check my lillies everyday and just pick off any bugs and squash them. The larvae is indeed gruesome, covered in excretment, needless to say I always use gloves !!
  • LovetogardenLovetogarden Posts: 756

I haven't had so many beetles this year. I usually pick off the adults and jump on them, shouting words a lady? should no use, My husband knows another one had been dispatched! If I find any larvae I also give them a spray of Provado, it seems to stop the little blighters from hatching ( if that's the correct word).

Whilst we are on the subject of lilies, I have several growing in pots, some years old, that have not produced many flowers this year. I dead head them when they have finished flowering and feed regularly, any tips to encourage them to flower next year.  I also re-pot them in new compost in the spring. Are they just coming to the end of their flowering life?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

PS Since posting this I have read a very interesting article on lilies on the RHS website, but I would still be interested in you comments, thanks.

• JollylilJollylil Posts: 2

Hi every one.

I have planted quite a few Geraniums this year (they were quite small to start with) and with all this rain we've been having some of the leaves have gone yellow and seems to be rotting away I must say they look awful.

Shell i keep keep them and hope for the best or pull them up ,as i said they do not look like growing at all.

Many thanks for your comments.

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802
    Jollylil wrote (see)

Hi every one.

I have planted quite a few Geraniums this year (they were quite small to start with) and with all this rain we've been having some of the leaves have gone yellow and seems to be rotting away I must say they look awful.

Shell i keep keep them and hope for the best or pull them up ,as i said they do not look like growing at all.

Many thanks for your comments.

Hope for the best-it is about to warm up-and that is what they need-sunshine

• I too squash the adult lily beetle. Not sure what the grubs look like but will www.lilybeetlegrub and find out! My old lilies are decimated again this year and will probably be discarded. I think other insects also eat the lily flowers and other plants. I sometimes spray with RoseClear and that seems to work. Will also view the RHS site.

My outside Pelargoniums have been beaten down with the heavy rain and wind so brought them inside to save them any more damage. My "geranimums" IE Cranesbill have been fine, not as much flower in 1 patch but o/w as normal. Mostly in sheltered areas of garden under trees.

Anyone planted Wildflowers this year?? I have planted 2 beds with a variety of wildflowers and am sooo pleased with them. Grown well despite weather [or maybe due to the abundent rain] and most started flowering weeks ago. I have staked and supported with green plastic hoops which also detered the cats and foxes initially.

Not sure how to upload photo/s but may try.

Happy gardening!