Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Lining a container inside for frost protection

Hi there.

Strange time of year to be asking about frost protection but I'm considering buying an plant (Polygala Myrtifolia) for a large container but am concerned about it's chances of survival. It's normally planted in this country and even then a hard frost below -5c can kill them off. In warmer zones they grow very happily in containers.

I'd rather not wrap the container in winter as it's to go by my front path but despite searching I've not seen anyone suggest lining the container on the inside before planting. Either using poly sheets in a square container or bubble wrap in a round one.

Anyone have any experience / advice? Any disadvantages? The container is unlikely to get any direct sunlight so overheating in summer shouldn't be a problem.

I'm also looking to get a very large container to keep roots away from the sides and put a big thick mulch on top but any advice on the best material? Wood seems to be the winner. Something like an old whisky barrel would seem ideal.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thank you

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

I had a fig tree in a thin metal pot for years but I did line the Inside walls with two layers of bubble wrap so that even when heavy frosts killed off the top, the roots survived.  It is now in teh ground in my greenhose and very much happier.

You could try lining a large wooden or heavy ceramic pot with bubble wrap but, franky, I wouldn't risk it unless you can take the whole thing into shelter in winter.   Badly frozen plants can take till teh end of June to show life so yours may well spend 8 or 9 months of the year looking like nothing at all.  From the look of it, your polygala flowers on old wood from spring so you risk never having any flowers if the old wood gets frozen to death.

Plants in pots in prominent positions need to look good most of the year  so I advise you to plant something hardier.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • Adrian BAdrian B Posts: 6
    Thanks for the reply. I feared as much. Was hoping there might be some magic solution but I guess you're right. Not worth risking in our unpredictable winters and having an unhealthy looking plant.

Thanks again.