London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 15°C
5 messages
13/05/2012 at 17:01

I have missed the boat for putting down any chicken pellets or other type of solid feed this year unfortunately, so I am wondering if anyone can recommend a good, organic, liquid feed to give the garden a boost?  Last year I tried a diluted seaweed feed in June and a diluted comfrey feed in August but both of them burnt the leaves of the plants and left them looking terrible.  Any other ideas?  Or should I just stick with the seaweed or comfrey but dilute them much more than recommended?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

13/05/2012 at 17:14

I don't understand why you think you've missed the time for chicken pellets - they can go down at any time, including now.

13/05/2012 at 19:06

I agree.  I do a general scattering in spring once things start moving with extra dollops on things like roses and clematis and shrubs and then more occasional general scattering until mid to late June. Doing it later than June can lead to soft, sappy growth that gets hit by early frosts in October and damages woody plants.

Struggling roses and clems - after a hard winter - sometimes get a liquid feed of rose or tomato food but at the roots, not on the foliage.

13/05/2012 at 19:57

Thanks very much for the repsonses.  I've got lots of foliage now and not much bare earth to put the chicken pellets on, plus I read that you have avoid touching the plants with the pellets and also fork it in after you put the pellets down and I'm worried about damaging the plants?  Do you think that I could get away with just careful sprinkling and let the pellets sink in naturally perhaps?  

13/05/2012 at 21:13

Yes, you certainly can - I rarely fork mine in as, like you, I have too little root-free soil

email image
5 messages