Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Lots of questions

1) I want to plant the climbing rose 'Souvenir du Docteur Jamain' against a N/E facing workshop/shed, the garden is rustic/cottage style, what colour should I paint the shed?

2) Do Dodecatheon plants have leaves in the summer after flowering?

3) Can I put bedding lobelia seedlings on a window sill in an unheated draughty shed now?

Thank you so much in advanceimage

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

1)  Red and green are complementary colours - which means that red will look redder on a green background, so I would paint the shed green.

2) Dodecatheon die down and become dormant through the summer.

3) I think that bedding lobelia seedlings need more protection than they would get in an unheated draughty shed.  

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Ash, looking at the Farrow and Ball paint chart, I would recommend Calke Green. They are pricey, but Johnsons Leyland will do you a very good copy of this colour in much cheaper but still good quality paint. image

• CeresCeres Posts: 2,697
    How about painting the shed black?!? Red on black would look really amazing.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138
    artjak wrote (see)

Ash, looking at the Farrow and Ball paint chart, I would recommend Calke Green. They are pricey, but Johnsons Leyland will do you a very good copy of this colour in much cheaper but still good quality paint. image

That would be a fabulous background to Dr Jamain image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Ashleigh 2Ashleigh 2 Posts: 256

Thank you all, Calke Green is perfect, and thanks for the money saving tip Artjakimage