Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Lupin damage

I have a masterpiece lupin that has been damaged.  The top of the flower seems to have been eaten away.  No damage to the rest of the plant including the leaves.  I have lots of lupins in the garden and this seems to be the only one affected.  I cannot see any aphids or bugs.  The plant has a little bit of mildew but nothing to worry about.  I have attached a photo.  If you can zoom you may be able to see the damage

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,904

I always suspect earwigs when I see damage like that but then I suspect earwigs of everything! Presumably it's something that doesn't have to climb up it so could it be birds? I've never seen them doing anything like that. 

I think we can safely assume I don't know. image

I do like your garden though. image

• YviestevieYviestevie Posts: 7,066

Thanks PP.  It must have happened yesterday as they were fine on Thursday.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,904

I had curly damaged heads and a bit of stripping but it was done by aphids. I gave them the soapy up treatment.

On My lupins I hasten to add!!!!! image

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Posts: 8,328

Slugs love my lupins...  image

Since 2019 I've lived in east Clare, in the west of Ireland.
  • Mark56Mark56 Posts: 1,653

My lupins are struggling as well, think I've lost spires to slugs and greenfly this year image I can see one building underneath but none showing so far!