London (change)
Today 24°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 16°C
6 messages
22/05/2012 at 21:00

I have a Magnolia Grandiflora in the garden and its not flowering... It was in the garden when we moved in so not sure how established before but it hasn't flowered for 4 years and is about 3-4 feet high.

Any ideas??? Its in a north facing but sheltered garden. I mulch with farmyard compost twice a year and top up with chicken manure pellets during the spring/.summer.

23/05/2012 at 09:35

It might be that you're treating it too well - there are lots of magnolias in the parks and gardens around here and they seem to thrive on neglect as far as I can see.   Flowering is for reproduction and many plants flower better if they feel just slightly threatened - if they're living in luxury they may feel that they have no need to procreate to keep their species going.

23/05/2012 at 12:07

I think magnolias in general take quite a few years to start flowering, but how many exactly I don't know. Mine was a cutting taken from my brother-in-law's tree. It's now 4 years old, so no flowers yet. I also have to give it lots of acidic feed as our soil is very alkaline - so on that basis I'm not too hopeful that it will ever flower!

24/05/2012 at 11:49

When I had mine from the nursery it was about 5 years before I had a flower. 20 years later, it's the focal point of the garden with flowers 20cm acroos with a fabulous lemony perfume. Be patient, it's worth the wait!

24/05/2012 at 12:33

Hello Gary Burgess,

Your Magnolia grandiflora is very small considering how large they can grow. Although you don't know the precise age it's probably still too immature to flower. Have a look at our profile of the cultivar 'Exmouth' for gowing tips.

Emma

gardenersworld.com team

29/08/2012 at 11:53

We decided to move house....

Guess what... Three flower buds have appeared!!!

Luckily we are letting our house so it should mature nicely now and we can enjoy it periodically - i darent move it!!!

email image
6 messages