9 messages
15/04/2012 at 20:09

when is the best time to repot a magnolia tree or should it go into the ground would rather repot any advice would be welcome we have had it two years in a 16 inch pot about 14 inches deep and is flowering at the moment looks healthy enough

16/04/2012 at 21:41

Wait until it's finished flowering and then re-pot it. You should be able to keep it in a pot for at least a couple more years, but eventually it will have to go in the ground.

17/04/2012 at 09:26

If you have alkaline soil then make sure the planting hole is deep with a good base of moisture holding organic matter. Magnolias prefer acid soil but most types will do fine in mildly alkaline soil provided they have plenty of moisture until they are well established. 

17/04/2012 at 10:58

Hello merv jones,

Have a look at Pippa's blog on moving magnolias. It pays to be cautious!

Emma

gardenersworld.com team

17/04/2012 at 11:37

"Magnolias prefer acid soil but most types will do fine in mildly alkaline soil provided they have plenty of moisture until they are well established".

Our Magnolia stellata is very healthy and happy here on the chalky North Downs, although as far as Magnolias go, I think this is the exception. Also ours is in the middle of an 18" high raised bed.

17/04/2012 at 12:04

We moved our 5 year old magnolia grandiflora a couple of months ago and it's definitely sulking. Our soil is very alkaline so I've always given it lots of extra TLC, but it has grown very slowly up to now. Apart from the usual ericaceous fertilizer and compost I give it quite a lot of tea - am I doing the right thing I wonder?

17/04/2012 at 12:22

Lorea

As has been said, most magnolias just do not enjoy alkaline soil. Mulch with ericacious compost, feed with the appropriate feed and water with rainwater. It should respond even if it won't be entirely happy. I have a rhododendron in chalky soil which flowers so it can be done.

17/04/2012 at 12:26

Thanks Paul, I'll just have to patient I think!

17/04/2012 at 16:47

Thanks to all, will take onboard all the advice we have received, going to try and keep it in a pot for a couple more years as alina w says, will read pippas blog thanks Emma

We also have two rhododendrons one in a pot one in the ground both doing well so soil looks good thanks Paul

Once again thanks to all

Ps don’t forget Birmingham

email image
9 messages