London (change)
Today 9°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 10°C
1 to 20 of 49 messages
15/05/2013 at 08:07

Verdun suggested this thread;

Use an old mini plastic greenhouse that has lost it's cover as a climbing frame for beans, or even for clematis? It will need to be lashed down with guy ropes or similar.

I use large pieces of polycarbonate from a friend's roof as

cloches

to place over big pots of germinating carrots etc

to warm up the earth

15/05/2013 at 08:10

I have an old aluminium tomato house that lost it's fron panels/doors and could not get replacements, it is now

a shelving unit in the greenhouse for trays

a climbing frame in the summer for cucumber.

I took the thin polycarbonate back and top off, cut them and use them as end pieces for cloches mentioned above.

15/05/2013 at 08:15

I use my old socks and underwear as bird scarers and...........oops!  I'll get my coat

Seriously though this thread could be very useful.  I'm always looking for ideas.

15/05/2013 at 08:18

Verdun, since the wind blows from the S/W a lot up here that explains the old socks in my garden

15/05/2013 at 08:29

Verdun,if youhave any old jumpers you could cut them up and use them to line hanging baskets,not sure if your old socks and underwear will do.

15/05/2013 at 08:39

Artjak, I Think some £20 notes blew your way..please  post them back to me ASAP.  Definitely mine

15/05/2013 at 08:42

15/05/2013 at 08:58

I wear any clothes that are worn out generally, as my gardening clothes. I have to admit that I wear them to bits on the garden, as no-one else can see me. And then they go straight into the bin.

The frames from my old plastic greenhouses, sans covers, make good staging in the greenhouse and I have another in the garage for all my sundries,small tools, paint brushes etc. Another has my dahlias, in pots, on it while they wait to be planted out

By the way you can get replacement covers for some greenhouse... just ask at the GC where you bought it and if they don't have one, ask for the name of the supplier who can probably send you one at a small charge.

15/05/2013 at 08:59

Most of my Garden seems to be make do and recycle my raised bed was a pallet painted over with some fence paint left over from the landlord painting his fence. The rocks i used for borders mostly came from the topsoil which was free from a site. The gravel is from some excess that was dumped in an entrance to a field. Many of the plants are reduced to clear or grown from seed. The kerbing was recycled when the 2 bits of lawn were joined up to make one j shaped lawn. My greenhouse got some of the angled joints replaced with tubes from a mini green house and very few pots are housing their first plant.

KEF
15/05/2013 at 09:12

I've got some old wooden pallets that in Summer live behind the shed. In Winter I put them on one of GH floors and stand overwintering plants on them. I like to think the air under them helps & when watered they don't stand in it. I have only got a small amount of staging for small plants, as it gets in the way when toms & cumbers need the space. Hubby keeps "eyeing" the pallets with a view to making something..he watched too much Geoff Hamilton.

Currently my potting station is in the greenhouse, part of a pallet resting on three large upturned plantpots. I sit there on my little stool (kneeler thing) and pot away happily and end up with back ache.

15/05/2013 at 09:24

KEF do you mean you don,t end up with backache?

KEF
15/05/2013 at 09:27

No I get backache, sitting there like a garden gnome. Perhaps I should have mentioned my potting station on DAFT things thread.

15/05/2013 at 09:33

The ideas not daft, its just it would be more suited to very short people,perhaps those with pointed ears and fishing rods!

15/05/2013 at 10:12

This forum gives me so many laughs.  Nice one Gilly.

15/05/2013 at 10:15

It,s good to laugh,brightens up the day.

15/05/2013 at 10:19

I use ex plastic greenhouses as shelves to store all my pots in my work area.   I sue the ex door flap of a bigger one to protect the back of OH's new car when I go on plant raids.

We recycled empty wine bottles to make a wall to sit on and retain earth at the back of our terrace.  That always gets interested comments when people come.   We've used old pallets and offcuts from floorboards to make 3 big compost heaps with removable fronts.

I've painted old galvanised laundry tubs found in flea markets.  One is black and gold and holds ice and beers when we have a party.  Another is red and gold with stencilled gold snowflakes and Xmas trees to hold the Xmas tree and another is waiting to be painted up and be used as a pot holder.

Old clothes get recycled as gardening clobber till they really haven't got the will to hold together any more.

15/05/2013 at 16:12

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/23579.jpg?width=480&height=350&mode=max

Photo of big cloche, half polycarbonate half spare piece of tempered glass from greenhouse

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/23580.jpg?width=480&height=350&mode=max

Detail of very sophisticated fastening involving bamboo and wire

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/23581.jpg?width=480&height=350&mode=max

Bean wire mesh used to keep the dratted pigeons off peas.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/23582.jpg?width=480&height=350&mode=max

Homemade plant stand for herbs by back door

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/23583.jpg?width=480&height=350&mode=max

Staging that I made from treated wood for g/h much cheaper than ready made, £43 for 8' length.

KEF
15/05/2013 at 16:26

Artjak are you available for hire?

What I also do is "harvest" my Arundo Donax and use it as well as bought canes..I'm saving the thickest & longest for the top of a pergola when we finally build or buy one. We "gathered" some in Greece from a dry river bed for our friends who have it on their pergola,( In Greece...didn't bring it home )  it's on a very windy but sunny roof terrace and it's still fine, secured with wire, 5 yrs later.

I also thin out my black bamboo and use them as pea sticks.

15/05/2013 at 16:28

I made staging for the GH from a really cheap special offer shelving unit from a French supermarket. The extra staging for baby plants in the spring is cheap planks of wood on cheap metal trestles that I take down when the plants go in the cold frames to make room to plant the tomatoes. The cold frames are made from cheap building blocks with air holes in them, lined with polystyrene.

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y487/Busy-Lizzie/IMG_5092_zps3d1c449f.jpg

KEF
15/05/2013 at 16:31

Right Busy that's you and Artjak needed here, pronto.

1 to 20 of 49 messages