London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 13°C
61 to 70 of 70 messages
04/06/2014 at 18:03

Dizzylizzy

If you feel you want to try Glyphosate and I know i sound hypocrytical but Gallup is a industrial strength Glyphosate, the Forestry use it and the Farmers us it

But as I stated in a previous post it does kill MT but it is not accepted as a total MT killer but I think the company are just keeping there self right incase of any law suits

I have used it in forestry and it wiped out everything including tree saplings

You can purchase it on Ebay in a 5 litre container which will give you more sprays It will cost you about £35 , also invest on a 5litre or 8 litre garden sprayer it will last you for years for only £8

04/06/2014 at 18:16

Thank you- also just read on the Progreen website- that hard water interferes with the take up of the chemical so that could be the reason my treatments haven't worked.  there is a pouch you can buy to add to the solution.

Will hard water also affect the Gallup active ingredient?  hard water is high in magnesium etc

We with the problem should all do a trial, each using a different remedy and report back!

I will make a decision on which to use- Kurtail or Gallup.

Will keep you posted

04/06/2014 at 18:21

I have never heard of Gallup being affected by hard water and you dont need anything to make it stick to MaresTail

Hope everything turns out all right and yes it will be interesting on your trial, looking forward to it

Good luck Dizzy Lizzy

16/06/2014 at 21:37

My garden backs on to the railway so I don't think I will be able to completely eradicate the mares tail which is at the moment just at the bottom of the garden. I keep pulling it out. I thought it just spread by root so was dismayed to read that it produces spores. Can anyone tell me how it does that please.!

16/06/2014 at 22:00

It produces a flowering head.this isn't a flower really, but it scatters spores on the Wind. Keep on pulling it out.it may weaken it eventually.

16/06/2014 at 22:05

If you Google horsetail flower images, you will get photos of the spore producing cone like flower.

16/06/2014 at 22:17

Thanks for that info.  I will do that now.

17/06/2014 at 11:49

They come up in March/April.

23/07/2014 at 10:13

I REALLY feel your pain

Ive been battling this still for 5 yrs, the garden was a total mess when I moved in, cleared the lot, left a few flower/shrub beds and dumped 10 ton of gravel in it.

This blasted stuff is suffocating 2 of my beds that now have lovely established shrubs in parts of the driveway gets infested (not all) I cant kill it permantly, 

I know whrere it's sprouting from - under both hedges either side of the front garden. I used to use sodium cloride (sp) only had to do teh drive twice a yyear nad killed it dead...Now I can't get it anymore I#m lumbered with the horrible stuff again

I dont want to have to dug up my shurbs as they are slow growing, but I feel I may have to and gravel that bit too

*Sighsssss*

16/08/2014 at 15:22

The roots are very deep and so it's very dificult to eradicate.  We've seen it six feet down - like a black bootlace.  The only way is chemical treatment that goes down to the roots.  Unfortunately, roundup/glyphosate is for foliage only and it becomes inactive on hitting the ground.  If you want to get rid of it you have to use something pretty drastic like sodium chlorate which will kill everything and takes about six months before you can replant.  It is, however, an opportunity to cover the ground with black plastic - or mypex - which will stop anything else colonising the ground while you're waiting.  You need to check around your boundaries to see if it is being haboured elsewhere as it returns several feet underground and will re-occupy your garden.  we've been struggling with it for 15 years!  Good luck!

Jules

email image
61 to 70 of 70 messages