Start a new thread

61 to 72 of 72 replies

Dovefromabove

As  you say, 'gone for now' but it only blackens the top growth, it doesn't affect the deep roots which will grow again. 

MMflower

Hi, I have just found this on my new allotment. Wondering if I can complain? Someone mentioned that with Japanese Knotwood, they send over someone to remove it.

The most effective method I have found is to pull the existing weed by hand then wait until new growth is a few inches high.  Walk all over it to bruise / break stems and then spray with Roundup at it's strongest recommended solution.  Finally cover with weed suppressing fabric.  It probably will reappear over time, but if you catch it early it should at least be controllable.

I've started a battle with few shoots appearing (presumably from next doors forest) crushed it and glosphated it and it appears to die. Week away and only one tiny shoot appeared (slightly different place) other stuff is grey and dead. Will keep at it

Sorry if anyone else has said this as I haven't got time to read the whole thread. I moved here 3 years ago and discovered I had the dreaded MT which I had never had before in any garden. I did get a bottle of Kurtail which I use quite a bit and it has definitely helped but along the way one thing I learnt was about the "mummies" as I call them. The easily spotted ferny bits are sterile but the real danger comes from the spore carrying spikes which are brownish, small and difficult to spot against earth - these are the things I try to find and destroy, but I also think there's something in this business of not letting them grow too tall. Here is a good article with a lovely photo of MT growing at RHS Harlow Carr!! http://gardenerstips.co.uk/blog/gardening/weeds-gardening/more-horsetail-or-mares-tail-weeds-to-eliminate/

Advertisement

I've cracked it!! After years of trying everything in the book, I've banished it. Haven't seen any sign of it for a month now.

My front gravel drive and shurb beds were totally infested, ruined my summers I stumbled across a blog after yet another failed attempt to kill this stuff.
It's called Kurtail, think it used to be called kibosh. It wasn't cheap, about ??42 for a litre, but instructions said to mix 20ml per litre of water. Put it in my sprayer, within a week it started to turn black and crispy, 2 weeks later a few new ones popped their ugly heads up, sprayed those too, and so far over a month now I've not seen any! Yayyyyy

Apparently it's degradable when it hits the soil, so you can plant straight in a dried sprayed area, it does kill every bit of greenery in contact though, I moved my little shrubs out, sprayed, dead, ready to start again.

I'm so relieved, my drive way is big, with hedges either side so I panicked a bit, but all good, one very happy lady who doesn't have to spend every hour after work pulling the stuff out
Watch out it may come back. I've had lots if luck with normal glosphated and bruising but still getting the odd bit, found one tonight. Those treated have died and my gravel seems clear but will keep being vigilant and hope that I've weaken. Guess next year will show

Kurtail available from the internet. Have started to use on allotment as it is full of mares tail and so far has been killing off the dreaded stuff. Has to be done on a dry, non windy day.

Thick bleach poured directly on the weed if that fails caustic soda.

If you want to get rid of Mares Tail use a product which is made by progreen the product is called Kurtail it kills and  Controls grasses & broadleaved weeds, plus mare's tail/horsetail.

Fairygirl

hendy wrote (see)

Dovefromabove
Fairygirl wrote (see)

hendy wrote (see)

Fairygirl wrote (see)

hendy wrote (see)

jo47 wrote (see)

Exactly Fairy ............ 

And it doesn't work anyway - it only kills the part of the plant it touches - it doesn't translocate back down to the roots and kill them - and it kills all the invertebrates in the soil, any small mammals and insects that touch it, and poisons the soil.  Why would anyone ............ ?