Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

mare's tail

Hello am very new to this so please bare with me, we have just been given an allotment plot as were childcare providers in our community, the children are under 5 years old and love to grow things in our back yard in pots so this is  a new adventure.

We have been weeding the land and been told by the other families also  on the site that our plot is ruled by Mare's tail.Once we have completed the weeding we want to make the land fun to explore investigate and have a  variety of food plants and flowers. which are child friendly.

Can anyone help on advise and knows how we can get items donated we have asked the local community and the children's families to which at present we got daffs, and Pansy's from he local nursery/garden centre,some Bike tyres from the local bike shop to use as planters and a windmill by one of the children he brought it out of his pocket money.

Please if you can help with advise or a donation we would be very gratefull

AW CHILDCARE SERVICES LTD

Just the begining of our big dig, and its new fence so the children know their boundaries.

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    You could ask at your local garden centres, they sell stuff off cheap at diiferent times of the year, they may do you an even better deal as its for charity.

You may also like to look out at our seed swap thread on here, put up what you need, and what you can offer, you may get a packet of seeds for the price of a stamp.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Thanks Lyn ill look out for the swap thread am finding my way around the site its all very interesting my new hobby and am loving it all the fresh air and exercise lol

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I've just put a few bits on Angela but not suitable ones, sorry. 4 are poisonous and the other one I don't know about.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • I have some Globe Artichoke seeds as well as broccoli seeds and maybe some other foody seeds Im happy to donate to you if you would like? If you are happy just PM me the address and I will get them away to you guys image

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

Angela, we are starting a new seed swap thread, here it is, dont be afraid to ask, someone will probably have what you want!

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/plants/seed-swap-mark-2/78277.html

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Thank you Lyn image

• Dobbies GC chain do a community scheme for folks such as yourselves.  Get yourself onto their website, and they have application forms on there.  Not looked into it myself, but thinking of applying for our local school.

You could maybe ask for a shed or polytunnel, so you can carry on growing when the weather's not so good.

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

Isn't the removal of the mares tail the first priority?

• Tilly-cdTilly-cd Posts: 9

In my previous garden, Mares tail was a big problem. The only way i found to get rid was to keep digging out the underground roots which spread everywhere even under paving slabs. good luck