London (change)
Today 13°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 9°C
21 to 33 of 33 messages
12/07/2013 at 00:12

Realstokebloke.  I laughed for about five minutes at your suggestion for controlling Marie's tails.  The one about the emailing suction whatever!! I think that's the only solution to a terrible menace!

12/07/2013 at 00:15

Oh God, it's happening again...... HaveNt laughed liyear agesyear ages

12/07/2013 at 16:50

Haha, one of the hazards of not checking auto correct, dead funny though.  

Charlie November, I'm not sure I'd go around scraping the stems of mares tail, I'd be in one of my customers gardens forever, a good stamp on it followed by Resolva works a treat 

21/07/2013 at 10:22

Shameless bump but also...

Has anyone ever successfully treated the roots of this nightmare(s tail)?

in that I have dug out the rockery where it was prevalent only to to find long runner roots disappearing off into the lawn at the top and under the flags on the patio at the bottom (how it lives in the solid sand cevent base I don't know).

Digging either out successfully won't be practical but I haven't snapped the exposed roots off yet in case there was something (deadly) you could do to the roots.

i sat one in a bottle of Tumbleweed but as it goes off, under the lawn, it's hard to tell what effect it has has had as there are no obvious shoots to see close to it.

Thanks.

24/07/2013 at 13:19

Bump.

(Sorry.)

Help needed As per above.

25/07/2013 at 07:13

26/07/2013 at 15:50

Hi

I have just eradicated my nightmare problem mares tail with a product called Kurtail available from Progreen this stuff really does work it isn't cheap but boy does it clear it my front garden was awash with the stuff but after a couple of sprayings it has just about gone it even kills the roots,hope this helps it is on ebay 

26/07/2013 at 16:01

Hi

There is a cure for this nightmare of mares tails I have just eradicated my front garden of it and the roots it is called Kurtail and is available from progreen on ebay it is not cheap but boy does it do the job this is my second year of treating it but believe me my garden was infested with the stuff ,so go ahead and get rid of it you will not be sorry  you bought it,

nothing else works believe me I have tried all the old gardeners tails even though I am one myself

24/08/2013 at 15:58

I also use Kurtail, it definitely does work.

24/08/2013 at 16:17

I have mares tail - in fact I think it is called horsetail on land and mares tail if in ponds/streams.

I've got acres of the bloody stuff & a daily polytunnel task is to pull if from in and around crops. Clearly I do not want to use chemicals around my lovely veg, so pulling is the only option.

I did read that it has anti-fungal qualities which helps it's neighbouring plants to stay healthy, so at least one redeeming feature if you have to live with it!

06/09/2013 at 18:19

Normal 0 false false false EN-GB X-NONE X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:12.0pt; mso-para-margin-right:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:12.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0cm; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}

Mare’s Tail – Yes, there’s Hope!

Had significant amount of Mare’s Tail in our last garden. No attempts to dig it out, kill-it, smother it worked and 37 years later, retired and moved, leaving vast quantities to be challenged by fresh minds. What did we find in the garden of our new home? – Mare’s Tail. I’m an engineer – not a gardener, and tackled the problem from that angle. So – we, like most folk had Mare’s Tail alongside my wife’s treasured plants over the whole garden – indeed vast qualntities! I had copious quantities of  2” and 3” plastic piping left over from the house-build. I cut off  approx.  200 pieces, each 12 – 18” long. I also made the same number of what can best be called tent pegs from fence wire approx. 2ft long.

Have you guessed yet – I systematically covered each individual frond of Mare’s Tail with a piece of pipe and held it in place with the wire tent peg. So the garden now looks as if has been raining plastic pipes!! OK? Then I purchased some  weed-killer – and sprayed a little down each pipe every couple of days for a week. I also added a little wash-up liquid to the weed-killer. This appeared to work – and several months later – approx. 50 fresh tails appeared, which I dealt with immediately.

One year later – I had approx. 70 tails to deal with, and on this our third year, just a couple of dozen.

Conclusions:- While I used the pipes to protect the surrounding vegetation – I suspect that the weed-killer was remaining moist on the weeds for longer and thus hopefully penetrating the waxy surface.  I also used a slightly weaker concentration that recommended in the hope that the deep roots would be reached before the surface ones were killed off. I applied this weakened dose over several days.

I obtained some Glufosinate-Ammonium based weed-killer – this having extremely rigorous restrictions and health-hazard issues - all of which I followed.

While I may never eradicate the problem completely our garden is now effectively free of Mare’s Tail and to my wife’s delight  free of a couple of hundred ridiculous looking pieces of plastic pipe. Coping with this year’s problem was a joy compared to the soul-destroying efforts of the last 40 years.

I hope this helps – must go now and see if can get rid of 200 plastic pipes on Ebay

07/09/2013 at 09:21

New discovery.

Not liking chemical weedkillers I have been using vinegar (malt) as a weed killer on the patio - I have to say it works a treat within hours and a fraction of the cost of garden centre weed killer.

I did not expect the horsetail to be much bothered especially as I had not crushed it first. However it was completely knocked out and more interestingly, no sign of regrowth have been seen 4 weeks later.

Will try on other areas next year and see how I get on!

07/09/2013 at 13:03

I had mares tails in my previous garden (no I did not move to France to escape it!). Luckily it was not the infestation some of you seem to have. My solution for a few stems was a little like that of our engineer friend and his plastic pipes but I used poly bags. I crushed the stems wearing a rubber glove liberally coated with glyphosphate mixed with dishwashing gel, then put a poly bag over the stem and secured it closed with a twistum at the base of the stem. It was then left for several weeks. I had no regrowth.

email image
21 to 33 of 33 messages