Start a new thread

1 to 16 of 16 replies

SweetPea93

The first things we've grown from seed have flowered, some french marigolds, the centres have formed nicely, but there's only five petals surrounding the middle, they look decidedly odd. I've not had chance to take a photo, but does anyone have any ideas at all?

Dovefromabove

Hi Sweetpea

If you google French Marigolds Images you'll see loads of different types, including a few single ones - do yours look anything like those?

KEF

Hard to tell without a pic sp93. Well done from growing from seed. I bought 6 to plant into pots in greenhouse to deter aphids, they were tiny but flowering. I've potted them on and nipped flowers off to make them grow bigger rather than flowering too early.  Dunno if this helps you.

KEF

Didn't see you there Dove

Advertisement

Dovefromabove

Those are so pretty - do yours look like that?

SweetPea93

This is what they look like, but were supposed to be of the big, full head variety!

Look good to me......none of mine have even germinated so count yourself lucky Sweetpea

SweetPea93

I dont supposee you might have an idea of what this marigold leafy looking plant may be? It's pretty much sprang up out of nowhere and is about 30cm tall!!

David K

Think they are French marigold (or Tagetes), SweetPea.

The top picture looks like Naughty Marietta to me. I grow them every year and those look pretty standard. Good choice for attracting hover flies and deterring things like carrot fly  

Orchid Lady

They look a bit like mine SP, it's a bit dark now but you get the idea, I still think they are pretty but like you, not what I expected.  I think I need to split the Lobelia that's with them a bit, it's grown quite a lot and you can't see the baby Monkey Puzzle Trees now

SweetPea93
Our lobelia germinated but didn't get much further.

Glad I'm not alone OL! They are pretty but I'm sure they aren't what they said on the packet!
Orchid Lady

Where did you get them? I think mine were for Home Bargains? I'm going to look at the packet tomorrow.

I though my Lobelia wasn't going to do anything so I'm quite impressed, I potted it in in clumps, as recommended by someone on here.  I love Lobelia, I've got my Busy Lizzie's to sort tomorrow 

Advertisement