London (change)
Today 13°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 5°C
5 messages
29/05/2012 at 20:11

When you see photos of mealybugs you only see small amounts in the photos, I have just come in from the garden in despair. I have five box pyramids and three box balls and without a word of a lie they are covered. It looks as if it has been snowing, I've never seen so many. I had some Rose Clear so I sprayed one of the trees with this and it does seem to be doing some good - does anyone know what the best solution is? I couldn't use a biological control as there is so much of it - it would need an army of ladybirds. I have also read that they can infest the soil and as they arn't in pots how would you control this? When I spray the bugs they fall to the ground in great numbers. Is it normal to get such a major infestation and is it possible it could be something else? How dose such a small creature lay so many eggs over such a great distance. I have never had mealybugs before in all the 36 years we have had this garden. HELP!!!!!

29/05/2012 at 20:39

A photo would help in making a positive id of these minibeasts - is this possible ?

Going down the chemical route - Provado ultimate bug killer would sort your problem out.

29/05/2012 at 22:36

I have a box hedge which gets a white dusting during late spring and early summer, it is caused by box aphid.

30/05/2012 at 09:07

Thank you to both (marshmello and jeffd) for taking the time to reply. Jeffd I think you have hit the nail on the head with box aphid as with the descriptions of mealybugs none of them mentioned the cloud of sticky dust that appeared when touching the plant. It does say it is harmless to the plant - do you treat your hedge in anyway or do you just leave it? Once again thank you so much it's put my mind at rest. Didn't fancy having to replace that little lot!!!!! 

30/05/2012 at 10:28

No I don't treat it, It gets washed off by the rain, and it doesn't seem cause any lasting damage.

email image
5 messages