London (change)
Today 7°C / 2°C
Tomorrow 8°C / 7°C
8 messages
05/04/2013 at 21:41
Has anyone grown from seed? Its my first time trying to grow betonicifolia. Had problems with damping off, have six seedlings still kind of happy, but not really much growth at all. My question is how do I grow them on? In shade or in full light in warmth or unheated.......plesse help!!!!!!
05/04/2013 at 22:24

The meconopsis group have a helpful website.

http://www.meconopsis.org/index.html

They say that bought meconopsis seed is notoriously hard to germinate and fresh seed collected in one's own garden has the best chance of success. There's advice on damping off and the use of heat and shade. Hope this helps.

05/04/2013 at 22:38
Thank you very much. I have read about buying the plant and sowing fresh seed. Just thought I'd give it a go. Like to grow from seed. Even if it takes a while!! Want to grow my plants....... I have read the real john cobb page! May have to read it again and pray! Thanks again
05/04/2013 at 23:08

These grow well in some scottish gardens I've visited. Damp and acid 

05/04/2013 at 23:12
Cant grow meconopsis baileyii..the blue Tibetan poppy. Did one year though....stunning blue.
Down here it's too warm, too bright and too windy.
Nut ....yep Scotland for these beauties
05/04/2013 at 23:26
Yeah nut heard scotland is the best place to grow. Just have a damp shaded part of the garden which would be great for them. Would be a dream to grow them! plus lincoln is a little like the tibetan mountains!
05/04/2013 at 23:35
Gab82. I am envious if you grow blue poppy. A photo would be good if you do
I understood it to be monocarpic......sounds grand I remembered that doesn't it?....if its allowed to flower in its first year. To overcome this I bought half a dozen plants letting half flower and half not....so jeopardising the flowered ones for next year. Didn't work, I lost all of them anyway
We all grow some things better than elsewhere and that's the beauty of gardening
05/04/2013 at 23:51
I don't hold much hope verdun. Germanation was great but lost loads early on. Sown thinly too! Since then ive done nothing but worry about the survivor's.......it will be a miracle. I'd be happpy if it was monocarpic I could collect sow and then play your game next year!
email image
8 messages