London (change)
Today 15°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 12°C
9 messages
20/04/2013 at 16:52
20/04/2013 at 16:57

Hallo Jalexa, where is your message/question? You have to click on Submit reply in green box at the bottom right of comment box. You probably only pressed the Enter button, hence no comment!

20/04/2013 at 17:03
Yes, thanks for the prompt. SwissSue. Clearly I am not just an complete novice in the garden but also at using the forum.

I've just taken the plunge to start gardening and plant some raspberry plants that a friend has given me however upon digging, my soil seems to contain lots of white stuff that looks like melted marshmallow.

Can anyone shed any light on what this could be? I'm concerned about planting something edible if there is something sinister in the soil.

Many thanks!

Jill
20/04/2013 at 17:13

Is it melted polystyrene perhaps from old plant trays??

Or even unmelted polystyrene??

A picture??

20/04/2013 at 17:36
I vaguely remember a similar thread to this before. Can anyone recall?
Was it dumped cavity foam insulation?
Jalexa, does it dig out easily?
I can't think of anything sinister though
Maybe enquire at builders merchants and take sample with you
20/04/2013 at 17:46
Yes, it digs out easily. It's soft so I'm not sure if it would be a man-made material given how cold it has been. I'm trying to post an image but failing dismally. Is it not possible to post images via an iPad?
21/04/2013 at 11:00
JALEXA wrote (see)
 I'm trying to post an image but failing dismally. Is it not possible to post images via an iPad?

No

21/04/2013 at 11:23

Yes the iPad has a built in problem with access to the file system, it should help security but makes things difficult. 

The easiest way to get round this is to share the image to another site with a dedicated app, Twitter, flicker, picasa web albums even facebook any site which has an app which allows images to be uploaded.  Then you can post the link here and somebody can fetch the picture into the thread on here.  Usually the link to the page is good as you can get with the ipad.

see how you get on.

21/04/2013 at 14:14

I am just wondering, if this is not a man made thing, if you have nice (?) big patches of snails eggs?  If you leave them upon the soil, robin or someone like that will love you dearly and dispose of the stuff very quickly!  I suppose there are types of slime mold that can look like that, but I am tempted in the way of well soaked and forgotten polystyrene bits as well. 

email image
9 messages