London (change)
Today 13°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 9°C
5 messages
24/03/2014 at 08:37

I discovered this morning that something has eaten all my peas and sweet peas!  I also found a small cache of onion sets dug up and hidden under a log in my veg garden. I think it is probably mice. Apart from digging up what is left (if anything) and growing it under cover, is there anything else I can do to prevent the blighters from scoffing everything? Any advice welcome.

24/03/2014 at 08:45

You could try the humane outdoor traps, at least it will confirm for sure what the culprit is. There are electronic devices on the market but I've never seen any impartial evidence on their effectiveness.

Its pretty difficult keeping the critters out but when they starting stealing my peas and beans a few traps did the trick.

24/03/2014 at 09:58

Yes, traps are the way to go. I had mice coming into my cold-frame and eating everything, I've caught 5 so far.

24/03/2014 at 13:20

they say to soak the peas in parrifin which they do not like.

24/03/2014 at 18:00

Set some traps this morning and caught one, much to my surprise. I have now set muliple traps around the floor and staging. Also blocked up all the gaps in the base which were just the right size!

email image
5 messages