Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

'mind your own business'

I have this weed (similar to Duck Weed found on ponds) growing thickly in parts of the garden .  Is it the same thing and does it harm the plants, eg smothering them?.  It seems impossible to eradicate but I scrape as much of it away as I can and am trying to contain it.  I should be very grateful if anyone could advise me - thanks in anticipation!

• Thank you Verdun

• ElviraElvira Posts: 17

We had this in our front lawn I weeded out as much as possible,but we still had to returf to get rid of it.it's a thug!

• Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,488

I was planning on buying seed of this to act as a weed suppressor and cover for pots. I take it that is not a good idea?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

I wouldn't.

I've seen it work really well in Japanese-style gardens or in Victorian-style ferneries, but it needs constant watching. image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• I agree with Verdun!! Don't do it!! We inherited this in our garden and whilst it does provide ground cover it just smothers everything with its creeping, dense mats. One part of our garden is a damp and partially shaded area and it positively thrives in these conditions. It is fairly easy to pull up from stonework and gravel although if you don't get all the roots - of which there are many! - it will certainly come back! This is an ongoing battle to control along with willowherb and hairy bittercress!!

Rgds

Adam

• Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,488

Crisis averted. I will not plant this stuff. I really do not want problem areas. Apart from Mint on one corner I have really got rid of all problem weeds in my garden last year after a long effort and much mulch.

• I inherited some when I moved here. It looks lovely growing on an old stone wall but it is hell bent on crawling over a path to get into the flower beds. Glyphosate is the answer as it kills the roots

• Buzzy2Buzzy2 Posts: 135

we had it when we moved into our house in 1965, and still have it! image