Start a new thread

1 to 6 of 6 replies

natureboy838

Hi all,i have recently planted hedging whips around the perimeter of my garden and to my horror have woke up to mole hills!! Could these critters prove to be a real problem??

nutcutlet

I've got molehills like the himalayas. I think they're digging deep to get at the worms that have gone deeper for the winter. I'd just keep treading them down

It's probably only one mole - apparently they are solitary creatures & only get together to mate.  Maybe it's that time of year though..........

However, there are a few things you can do to try to make them go elsewhere.  They don't like noise or (to them) strange smells, so you can try the following:

pour a small amount of strong-smelling stuff down through a small hole you make down through what looks like the biggest molehill, in order to reach the tunnel beneath.  Jeyes Fluid perhaps, or bleach - or drop a mothball or two down there.

get a toy windmill & push the stick down through one of the molehills.  Apparently they don't like the noise/vibration it makes. 

if you can't get a windmill, get a large plastic bottle, cut the bottom off it & then stick the bottle upside down & down through the molehill.  The sound of the wind passing over the top of it makes a noise they don't like.  Old CDs tied loosely to a stick work too - any noise the disc makes as it hits the stick must be the reason, I suppose.

apart from having to rake/spread the soil back over the surface, a problem arises when the tunnels themselves finally subside & this makes a lawn surface uneven.

one good thing, however, is that you probably have good soil - with plenty of worms!

Welshonion

You can buy traps in old-fashioned hardware stores or agricultural suppliers.

Bunny ...
They usually move on after a time , try the windmill. I moved a stake in ground and suddenly got a mole hill after 5years ...maybe it thought ooooh new growth and worms. I don't know.
Don't go traps route , they do that here and hang on fences ..

Advertisement

Dovefromabove

Someone once pointed out to me that you rarely see molehills on football pitches - they don't like all those heavy boots running up and down - perhaps you can do your keep fit exercises out there in the garden?   

Sorry......... I'll get my coat .....................