London (change)
Today 11°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
6 messages
15/02/2013 at 20:01

Hi all,i have recently planted hedging whips around the perimeter of my garden and to my horror have woke up to mole hills!! Could these critters prove to be a real problem??

15/02/2013 at 20:11

I've got molehills like the himalayas. I think they're digging deep to get at the worms that have gone deeper for the winter. I'd just keep treading them down

15/02/2013 at 20:39

It's probably only one mole - apparently they are solitary creatures & only get together to mate.  Maybe it's that time of year though..........

However, there are a few things you can do to try to make them go elsewhere.  They don't like noise or (to them) strange smells, so you can try the following:

pour a small amount of strong-smelling stuff down through a small hole you make down through what looks like the biggest molehill, in order to reach the tunnel beneath.  Jeyes Fluid perhaps, or bleach - or drop a mothball or two down there.

get a toy windmill & push the stick down through one of the molehills.  Apparently they don't like the noise/vibration it makes. 

if you can't get a windmill, get a large plastic bottle, cut the bottom off it & then stick the bottle upside down & down through the molehill.  The sound of the wind passing over the top of it makes a noise they don't like.  Old CDs tied loosely to a stick work too - any noise the disc makes as it hits the stick must be the reason, I suppose.

apart from having to rake/spread the soil back over the surface, a problem arises when the tunnels themselves finally subside & this makes a lawn surface uneven.

one good thing, however, is that you probably have good soil - with plenty of worms!

15/02/2013 at 23:56

You can buy traps in old-fashioned hardware stores or agricultural suppliers.

16/02/2013 at 00:00
They usually move on after a time , try the windmill. I moved a stake in ground and suddenly got a mole hill after 5years ...maybe it thought ooooh new growth and worms. I don't know.
Don't go traps route , they do that here and hang on fences ..
16/02/2013 at 08:42

Someone once pointed out to me that you rarely see molehills on football pitches - they don't like all those heavy boots running up and down - perhaps you can do your keep fit exercises out there in the garden?   

Sorry......... I'll get my coat .....................

email image
6 messages