London (change)
Today 13°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 7°C
21 to 40 of 45 messages
05/10/2013 at 08:12

My grass is fairly well compacted sandy soil. Crane flies were laying three feet from the solitary bee nests. As I think the solitary bees were probably helpful with Apple and plum pollination, and we have had a bumper crop this year, I will be leaving them alone.

06/10/2013 at 11:48

I have a continuing mole problem and bought a trap, but he's a wily little rodent and started digging off at a tangent. I read somewhere that a kid's windmill drives them mad and it worked a treat, a 99p toy has proved more effective than a £7.00 trap. We seem to have come to an understanding now he never surfaces on the lawn but in the flowerbeds.

09/10/2013 at 07:59
The mole problem is getting worse as it now comes to the surface in the lawn/grass/turf in the morning, and yesterday there were 3 moleshills made between 7 am when I looked out and there were none, to 8.30 am when my husband went for the paper.

It has also tried to come up in one of the flower beds, but I'm starting to plant it up and have laid weed supressant down, so there is only a large lump under that.

The nematodes I sent for arrived yesterday, so we are going to put them in today. Fingers crossed they work!!

I'm also going shopping today and will look for a card with music.

If all else fails we will resort to a trap, reluctantly on my part though.
09/10/2013 at 14:32

If planning for hte longer term and wanting to keep moles away from an area for years to come, you could try a natural and traditional Japanese solution for moles. The bulb used has protected temple gardens and rice paddy crops for hundreds of years. From personal experience, I can vouch that this works!

More about the plant here:

http://www.homediystuff.com/eradicating-moles-naturally-red-spider-lily/

The moles won't go anywhere in the vicinity of this bulb when digging.  By just having bulbs in a garden bed, it is usually enough to protect large areas of lawn nearby as well. It is a relatively unobtrusive plant, ecept for when it throws up vibrant red flowers each year at the start of Autumn, for a few weeks. 

This is obviously not an instant solution, nor one for realy large areas of open turf, but it works well for garden beds (and rice paddies!)  I haven't seen this used outside Japan.  I hope this information helps....

10/10/2013 at 16:09

Try a mix of castor oil, washing up liquid and water and pour down holes. I would mix a 1/4 pint of castor oil and the same of washing up liquid to 2 pints of warm water. They do not like this.  It worked for me in my garden and they soon moved out

10/10/2013 at 16:19

get a cat! Mine used to wait patiently & catch them when they surfaced!

10/10/2013 at 18:07

Do you mean that amount for each hole Lavetera?  Because at the moment we have 6 holes and both sides of us have quite a few too. One side of us has a cat, so I don't think that works either  

10/10/2013 at 18:23

I have personally had experience of mole hills which I dealt with in a similar fashion to that of the music card only my solution was a child’s windmill, cheap and noisy. Depending on how large an area is effected will depend on how many you need but starting with three of so which can always be increased if necessary. Push the windmills into the molehill and let the wind do the rest. Moles hate noise and the continual rattle of the windmill will drive them away. I was told of this cure a long time ago and have personally used the method as did a publican friend who had a big problem in the pubs garden.

Good luck, just pray the wind keeps blowing.

10/10/2013 at 18:36
Thanks again for all your tips and advice.
10/10/2013 at 19:49

We have quite a big garden and thankfully they seem to stay towards the end of it. Will try some windmills.   One neighbour tried putting upside down empty cans on sticks, it worked for awhile,  but of course the don't look great and he took them down. Many thanks

10/10/2013 at 21:37

Sorry to put a bit of a damper on your enthusiasum, but we have tried all of those things suggested and ........................we still have moles. Even putting 200 gallons of grey water from the septic tank down the runs (another story) only kept them away for a couple of seasons. Our cats have had 7 this year, and still we have mole hills in the borders.

Sorry.

11/10/2013 at 11:46
I had an infestation of moles a couple of years ago, having a lot of wildlife in my garden l had to be careful what l could use, l came across 'mole smoke' it comes in a small plastic tub that you take the top off, light the fuse, and push it in the hole cover it quickly with soil so that the smoke doesn't escape. I had to do this quite a few times to different mole hills and they are not cheep (about ??8 each) touch wood l haven't had a visit this year even though the field next to me is covered in mole hills, l always keep a couple of tubs to hand just in case.
11/10/2013 at 12:08

This smoke just lines the tunnels with castor oil which the moles do not like. Eventually it wears off and the mole may then return.  Cheaper to do what  Lavatera suggested.

Also you can try putting strips of cloth soaked in Jeyes Fluid in the runs. It stops them using that one for a while, but it does encourage them to dig new ruins too.

Once upon a time they sold Mole smoke which killed them, not any more except to professional people.

11/10/2013 at 12:35

We had a new raised flower bed installed which looked very good until Mr Mole arrived. Hills everywhere and plants uprooted. My husband bought a solar-powered Mole Repeller from Tool Station for £20.41 in June of this year and touch wood he has disappeared. The repeller gives off a sound which covers a very large area and is only just audible, well to me anyway. But it has certaily done the trick and well worth the money.

11/10/2013 at 16:07

Glad it worked for you. When I tried one on one of our lawns, we found dozens of mole hills all round it. We reckoned they were having a disco to the sound from it.

Please, try everything, if it works for you then great. It is just our experience which is so negative, not other folk's.

Some time back I made a very special type of Alpine growing area. To make sure the "little gentleman in black" (Historical reference there to the name given to moles by the Jacobites) did not ruin my work, I put a piece of chiciken wire on the ground before constructiom. So far they have not managed to come up through that.

11/10/2013 at 17:10

If you are seeing crane fly they have already laid their grubs to munch away at your lawn ,best thing to do is to send for sone nematodes from The Green Gardener , then you can treat your lawn the nematodes. Seek out the grubs and eat them from the inside . Now is the best time to treat the lawn so don't hesitate ,you can ring the green gardener and order and pay over the phone ,you will be treating the lawn within a week .they are really helpful couple tags town the company. And will answer any queries you have ,so hurry ,get the phone number from the internet . Good luck 

16/10/2013 at 08:17
The nematodes were watered in 2 days ago and here's hoping they work. The caster oil granules went in the week before that.

Yesterday was the first time we didn't see a molehill in the morning, but the runs are all over the grass, as we felt them while walking over it with the watering can.

The mole repellant is still buzzing away, and one of them is now stuck down a hole in the middle of the grass.

It's too early to say whether the caster oil granules have worked, or that it's eaten all the leatherjackets, or maybe moved off somewhere else, but I'll be back on here to let you know if it returns in the future.

Thanks again to everyone for your helpful suggestions.
16/10/2013 at 10:30

Craneflies have a very short life how ever horrid they are and starlings love to eat the grubs of these gritters.keep the windows shut at dusk is one way of avoiding .

17/10/2013 at 14:46

In my experience trapping the mole is really the only solution, it probably is one mole as they are very terrrotorial except in the spring when they go looking for mates. I use tunnel traps, you need to find the moles main run which will not be near the molehills but it will run along a nearby fenceline. This is the moles main run and where the trap must be set, use a screwdriver or long metal rod to push down along the fenceline until you find the run. Dig a hole just big enough to get the trap in, i then use my hands to scape all bits of soil out and then tamp the run to ensure it's nice and smooth. Set the trap and insert into the run, then cover the top with plenty of matted grass or similar and soil on top. Moles have a keen sense of smell so you don't want a draft blowing in! Mark the location and check daily, when mole runs through the trap, death is pretty instant unlike scissor traps which cause a long and painful one.

17/10/2013 at 16:16

Yes my OH did that at the wkend , it works cos we got one!

21 to 40 of 45 messages