Start a new thread

21 to 28 of 28 replies

Voles......lucky you..........look after them

Steve 309

They tunnel under the plants and eat the roots.  I'm trying to encourage the sparrowhawk!

fiona flox

Having disposed of my mole in 2014, I now find that a new tenant has discovered my garden.  I feel sad that I had to kill the previous one by putting dried chillies down into the tunnels which appeared (this may not have been the case) to have caused him to go into hyper-activity, and on seeing the earth moving on the latest hill I grabbed a spade and demolished him.  I live in the country and there are plenty of nice fields for the little critters, but obviously my garden provides the best meals.

This one is doing the same as Steve 309, plus wrecking the lawn which now has bumps and hollows and is more like a battle field.

Does anyone know of a "humane" way of deterring them?

No.  They're after your juicy worms all year and then have a burst of mate hunting and spring and another burst when the young leave home to set up their own territory.  No-one has ever been able to tell me that they are in any way useful. 

I get them running through the roots of treasures in the veggie plot and fruit beds as well as undermining the ornamental shrubs and perennials and making the lawn look like trench warfare with its system of collapsed tunnels making it uncomfortable to walk on and mow.  

Here I can buy and use a "détaupeur" which is effective but you can't in the UK.  I tried human traps but they just tossed them out of their runs or went round.

Call in a professional mole catcher.

fiona flox

Thank you for your advice, Obelisk.  I think I shall have to try windmills even though I tried them before, but obviously from what I have read they need to be quite large.  We have exactly the same problem and I discover they have been "at it" underneath large shrubs so now spend most of my time looking under bushes, etc.  We have a mini-orchard and before going on holiday I noticed some hills there - goodness knows what I shall find on my return!

It very well may have to be a professional mole catcher ....

Advertisement

I had some success with Sork Bulbs although I've seen others say they had no effect. For a small outlay and easy application they might be worth a go. Moles are like most territorial animals, if you remove them then another will take it's place.

We have a detauper which works well but elderflower flowers mixed with water and left to ferment for 3 weeks creates a hell of a stink. It is a bio friendly way of keeping moles at bay. Once you have found the hole pour down half a litre (or less) of the mix and this should do the trick. Unfortunately the detauper cannot always be used. Some of our mole hills are near a pipe so use the bio method. We too have problems with them under the veggie garden.

Last edited: 16 September 2016 13:51:44

fiona flox

We have just returned from our holiday and lo and behold, 10 large hills in the lawn, well - it can hardly be called a lawn any more.  The orchard hills seem quite quiet, but I noticed some "movement" in the border of the garden.  Looks like it has come back, so thinking hats are needed, and will keep you up to date.

The elderflower mix might be worth a try.  At present we are too tired to do anything, but I will come back with any results over the next few days/weeks.