London (change)
Today 15°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
1 to 20 of 22 messages
22/11/2013 at 19:12

Is this an exceptional year for moles?  We always have them but not in such great numbers as this year.  I love the little creatures but it turning into a battle of wits.

22/11/2013 at 19:53

Hi fiona, there is a thread called moles and crane flies, with some tips on getting rid of moles i'll bring it to the top of quotes for you.

Sorry pleased to meet you fiona

23/11/2013 at 16:56

I often have moles on my tiny lawn. Stick a bamboo into the mound and place a large empty yoghurt carton on top, the noise and vibration in the breeze drives them away. I know this works, as a week or so later my neighbour complains about moles in his garden

23/11/2013 at 17:03

artjak, that made me laugh out loud! I will try your tip; I don't have molehills, I have mole volcanoes!

23/11/2013 at 17:04

We did the same with empty cola cans, also windmills work too.

23/11/2013 at 20:37

Thank you Star Gaze Lily,  And pleased to meet you too.  I am afraid we have resorted to traps and have caught a couple but the next day there are these hills and yes, Landgirl100, volcanoes too!  Have tried fire-lighters down the hole and other crazy things, but perhaps the bamboo with yoghurt cartoon may be worth a try.  I think my neighbour knew about that one, as I swear it is his moles in our garden!

24/11/2013 at 13:15

I have also heard, and used, the awful tinny recorded birthday cards, put them in the ground and it drives the moles crazy. My neighbour uses the long handled mole killer thingys. I have recently aquired a Jack Russell and my neighbour tells me he is getting rats in his garden that used to live under the concrete block supporting my oil tank. He is now enjoying taking pot shots with a gas powered air gun as they run along the top of his fence.

24/11/2013 at 21:12

Let's hope he doesn't shoot anyone by aiming into unseen spaces.

25/11/2013 at 09:36

Keep your head down when you're hanging out the washing!!! 

25/11/2013 at 16:39

I've spent 20 years trying to get rid of moles from my garden and although successfully sometimes they always come back.  I now believe the only sure fire way is to MOVE

25/11/2013 at 18:03

Muddyfork, there must be some way to get rid of them?

28/04/2014 at 12:24

There is loads of good advice on this website - I have used their traps and they do really work. I found the video really useful to watch as I had no idea how to go about this.http://www.beagleproducts.com/

28/04/2014 at 12:54
I don't know but I've been told .... Pee ! They don't like it if u pee on their mole hills , bless em ! Apparently one pee gender is more effective than the other but can't remember which way around it is , sorry . But to be born in mind- female pee is more corrosive to your grass than male
28/04/2014 at 17:12
It was on GQT... Apparently moles do not like female urine whilst foxes do not like male urine.
28/04/2014 at 18:21

At our old house, my husband used windmills - not little flimsy ones, but great big ones. The moles seemed to go.  I read on google that windmills don't work, and told him it was probably just a coincidence.  However last autumn he found another big windmill at the garden centre (original ones bit the dust years ago) and stuck it in (after a positive 'mole himalaya' experience last summer).  No new mole hills yet.  So is it coincidence again?  Or is it too early to tell?  Or do the people who say they don't work only say that because they have only used the ones that people stick on baby prams rather than big ones?  He is going to try chilli powder next, but failing that it seems I have to start decanting my wee into a jug.  (Don't want to upset the neighbours by delivering direct )

19/05/2014 at 20:54
I still have my mole problem; came back from holiday last Wednesday to find 20, yes twenty, molehills in the front garden. Seven of them were on the grass and the rest in the left side border, which I only recently planted up.

I've tried cloves of garlic, Caster Oil granules and Nematodes last year; there are empty cans on metal rods which rattle in the wind, together with 3 childrens windmills, and I'm now trying hot chilli powder down the hole I find when I clear away the heap of soil - I now have a large crate full of the soil I've removed from the molehills.

I have decided to send for a Moleman, and he is coming next Sunday.
29/05/2014 at 18:13
The Moleman came and set 10 traps. The mole/moles pushed one trap out but another trap has caught 1 mole. The man checked the other 9 traps and is coming again next week. I've still got the cans and windmills in place.
29/05/2014 at 18:18

I'm told that the soil from the molehills is great for potting.  True?

29/05/2014 at 18:34

Steve......Yes ......like worm casts........nicely sifted and friable......all the work done for you.........not much help for those who have/dislike moles tho I suppose

29/05/2014 at 18:42

I have them on the allotment but we might at least get some benefit from their activities.  Voles too!

1 to 20 of 22 messages