Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Monty's advice on Strawberries ........

Hi all

After watching GW last Friday, I'm now confused about how / where to put my strawberry plants!!  I knew that the plants only have a 3-4 year lifespan and should be replaced after this time, but Monty said NOT to plant them in the same spot year after year?  I never knew thisimage  Does anyone else move their strawberry plants every year, or just leave them where they are, and replace every 3-4 years ?  Any advice is gratefully appreciated, as I will soon be planning and digging my fruit garden, to include 2 dozen strawberry plants I have waiting to go in !!  I've only ever grown strawberries in pots before, so putting them in the ground will be new to me anyway.

• ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,731

Well, I've had a dedicated strawb bed for eons. Monty's advice is, no doubt, based on the notion that replanting anything in the same patch can lead to a build-up of unfriendly nasties. I find that refreshing a dedicated patch each season looks after the build-up problem.

• Just wondered how do you refresh a dedicated patch? I thought I may as well transplant some of the younger plants from my patch and create a new patch that has had compost and mulching material added also a good scattering of chicken manure pellets. The old patch has become very congested and the slugs and snails hide in there. A good all round clean-up of debri is needed I think,where did I put my gardening gloves? 

• ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,731

You can borrow mine. image I refresh a patch by digging in fresh compost, soil, etc, every season.