Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Morning glory seedlings dying

Hi,

I planted some morning glory seeds a couple of weeks ago and then germinated nicely outdoors so I didn't think more about it. I then noticed that the leaves went yellowy but didn't think that was to worry about. Today two of them have shrivel up (the stems are still sturdy) and the other look like they are going the same way. Could it be the cold weather we have had or the rain? 

• Mark 499Mark 499 Posts: 380

Yes probably they have been too cold at night, the leaves usually go very pale , white even, the actual plants may recover.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Morning Glories are very sensitive to low temperatures - the leaves will go white and they will stop growing and be very unhappy.   They don't mind rain if it's warm, but cold and wet is worse.  They prefer temps to be 20C+

Mine won't be planted out until the beginning of June at the earliest - depending on the weather.

I'd take them indoors if I were you. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• cowslip2cowslip2 Posts: 137

I had the same problem in a warm kitchen. Lost count of the numbers I have germinated only for them to die. Mystery deepens.

• SwedboySwedboy Posts: 394

I thought it would be water. Just thinking that taking them in now might shock them more as the are used to be outside all the time. Might move them somewhere more sheltered Like the outside windowsill at the front. Quite a lot of sun in a stairwell.

i think I need to get a coldframe or stop going over boards with seeds in late April.

These are mine in the mini-greenhouse - it's open during the day and semi-closed at night, but if temps are forecast to go below 5C at night they'll be coming indoors. 

I sowed them on 30th April and they've been indoors on the dining room windowsill to start with, then last weekend they went into the mini-greenhouse for the daytime and came back at night - then since the nights started warming up. they've stayed out at night.  

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• SwedboySwedboy Posts: 394

I am soooo more reckless than that I am afraid. Mine was planted outside for the start. Think my early planting of tomatoes has made them stunted...

• flumpy1flumpy1 Posts: 3,117

Think I've killed my curly Kale, they had germinated nicely, I looked in the morning before work and they looked fine, then after a hot day got home and they had all flopped!, tried giving them water but the next day they just look yellow and limp, should I have grown them in the shade?? image