London (change)
Today 18°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 17°C / 13°C
14 messages
17/01/2013 at 13:00

As with all other gardeners I have always had to deal with moss.  Possibly more than others because about 60% of my garden does not see any sunlight for about 6 months of the year.  I have chosen to lift it off the stone, brickwork or even the surface of the soil and dump it.  However this this year (obviously) there is even more than normal.  I am tempted to treat it like any other weed and hoe it.  Normally rooted (whatever that means) weeds tend to die when the head and root are separated and hence I just leave them where they finish, on or just under the surface of the soil.  If I do this with moss will I be multiplying the growth.  I am sure I was told this many years ago before I got some experience.  I know I am playing fast and loose with the term gardener by applying it to myself but nobody knows everything.  Any help much appreciated. 

17/01/2013 at 13:25

I get a lot of moss too,I use mine for hanging baskets.I dig it out of the lawn and anywhere I don't wish it to grow,on stonewalls or old trunk of tree I leave.

17/01/2013 at 17:18

bobloes

Is this moss as in lawns -or a layer of green material on top of uncultivated ground-more like algae??

17/01/2013 at 18:43

Hi Geoff

It is 'green material' which I am sure is moss on top of the soil in between any plants that I have.  It is less prevalent in the less shady areas.  It appears the same as the 'moss' that I have on any stonework and in the lawn.  I am not bothered (I shall never be able to use that phrase again - Thanks Catherine Tate) about the moss in the grass.  Cheers

17/01/2013 at 19:03

I have a part shade garden too & also have a moss in borders problem. Like you it's between plants & I spend quite a bit of time removing it & dumping it into the council recycling bin, not my compost bin.

If I was you I'd try to 'skim' it off & dispose of in a recycling bin, if possible. I dont do hanging baskets, but somebody locally may be grateful for it?

Unless you can dig a deepish trench on some new ground to well & truely bury it, I would bag it up to dispose of how you will.

BTW like you I allow my lawn to be a moss patch. Am sure though that this doesnt help, as the spores will get onto the cultivated soil & there's our problem.

I have addressed some of the shade problem by having a large tree felled, but the last 'no sun lots of rain summer' summer didnt help. Good luck, no easy way. J.

17/01/2013 at 20:24

It is more algaeish-if that is the term- by the sound of it-rather than moss-hoeing shifts it as you know -if it is just that then burying it should be OK

18/01/2013 at 07:25

Hoe then mulch with home-made compost/leaf mould - moss usually grows on impoverished and unaerated soil - so mulching will get the worms active and they'll aerate the soil and the mulch will also feed the soil. 

18/01/2013 at 07:43

Yes, so try to fork over the soil as much as poss. This will help reduce some of the compaction. Ok fiddly to do between plants but will help.

DONT just mulch on top of the moss without removing it first- same applies to algae- or you'll live to regret it! J.

18/01/2013 at 11:49

Thanks very much for all the advice.  Given that it is not a massive garden I shall remove the patches individually and then do the soil improvement bit.  Good luck with your plots.  Cheers

26/04/2014 at 23:05

I've been scraping it off the top of the soil and getting rid of it and hoping that's doing the trick.

27/04/2014 at 06:18

Simply scraping if off the top of the soil is not removing the reason why moss is developing there.  As I explained 

Dovefromabove wrote (see)

Hoe then mulch with home-made compost/leaf mould - moss usually grows on impoverished and unaerated soil - so mulching will get the worms active and they'll aerate the soil and the mulch will also feed the soil. 

This will help prevent the moss recurring. 

27/04/2014 at 08:07
27/04/2014 at 10:21

Not been a problem in the past, think it's due to the last 2 wet years we've had. Some of my garden has had standing water at times, tho' not really where the problem is. will try your suggestion but difficult around established and newly emerging plants.

09/05/2014 at 08:41
Boiling water got rid of moss on concrete paths.
It had turned brown next day and left to dry was then easy to remove with shovel and sweeping brush .
email image
14 messages