London (change)
Today 12°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 6°C
4 messages
08/09/2013 at 18:34

Moss has invaded the vegetable patch and is spreading faster than I can weed. It is spidery- and has covered lots of the area completely, snuggling around the veg that is growing. I'm not sure whether it's damging or not- much of the vegetable growth took place before the invasion, so lots seems Ok. But I would like advice as to how to respond once the season is over. Do I blitz with killer? Or can moss and veg co-habit?. Does it eat all the nutrients?

This is a new one for me.

Mandy

08/09/2013 at 18:36

i use  my moss for hanging baskets and found that by keep dig it up was the best.

08/09/2013 at 18:42

Are you sure its moss.? Description of spidery doesn't sound like moss. Have you a photo?. If it is moss , it would indicate poor drainage. But if your veg plants are Ok , then it may be some other type of weed.

09/09/2013 at 17:33

Will work on photo idea! It is a nice bright green, feels spongy, star shaped and some 'arms' extend and it looks like they start a new star. maybe I'm making this up. They have small seeds/pores (?) round things on top. 

I can scoop a bit up (soil and all) easily- it has very shallow roots. But this might mean decapitating the whole patch once I clear it for winter. Might be that's what I have to do?

M

email image
4 messages