London (change)
Today 8°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 12°C
6 messages
15/04/2012 at 15:38
Is it ok to put moss on the compost heap after scarifying the lawn?
15/04/2012 at 15:42

I wouldn't because I do not think it will break down.

15/04/2012 at 16:26

You can put all lawn cuttings in with your compost don't put to much together try putting paper and cardboard in layers to add carbon to the mix.

22/04/2012 at 14:19

Ok, thanks for your help......good job I asked!

22/04/2012 at 19:22

Wrightt is right!! Moss won't rot down, it will just go dormant, and when it reappears from your compost heap it will come alive again. If it is going to end up at the bottom of a planting hole then it will do no harm and will help to retain moisture. If you use it as a mulch then you will quickly get a new patch of moss. 

29/04/2012 at 17:48

I use my lawn moss to line hanging baskets.They last for ages & I just top them up with fresh each year. I put them in a large bin bag and spread it out to the width of the bag, sprinkle of water and compress it before tying it up. After a couple of days, - or weeks,- I just put my fingers down the sides about 3-4" then slide them under to ease out a round pad of moss that almost fits the basket, (should get bigger bags really to get a better fit she thinks  ) then fill in the gaps once a plastic liner, (recycled compost bags cut to shape) and a bit of compost to keep it in shape. If it ever stops raining i'll take a pic and post it here

email image
6 messages