London (change)
Today 10°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 10°C
9 messages
13/09/2013 at 13:15

Hi gardeners!

I'm trying to grow some viburnum plants from seed in my conservatory. I sowed the seeds in a pan about two months ago and there is no sign of germination yet. However, directly above two of the seeds there are significant patches of white and green mould.

Does anyone know what this means and whether there is anything I can do to salvage the situation?

Thanks.

13/09/2013 at 13:55

what sort of Viburnum?

all my trees and shrubs are germinated outside or in a cold GH through the winter. grit on top helps with moulds an algae

13/09/2013 at 16:12

All Viburnums need periods of cold and warmth to initiate germination. The last place they should be is in your Conservatory. The mould is there probalby because the compost is too wet and too warm. Scrape off the mould and put the seeds outside somewhere and leave them to get on with it. And they can take over 2 years to germinate, so patience is needed.

13/09/2013 at 17:01

Oh dear! I am a complete novice just starting out in this hobby, and I thought all seeds were supposed to be started indoors. I have a plastic growhouse in the garden which I'm using for my cuttings, should I move them into that or will that still be too warm and moist? The plant I am trying to grow is Viburnum Odoratissimum.

Most of my other seedlings are doing really well but I am now also wondering about two other pans I have on the go which say on the packet to be kept in a cool place - Astrantia Involucrata 'Shaggy' and Astrantia Major 'Ruby Wedding'. As with the Viburnum I am aware that these two are going to take a very long time to germinate, but I'm worried that these should also be outdoors. What do you think?

You probably think I'm mad trying to grow all these things from scratch when I don't know what I'm doing, but I absolutely love the excitement and satisfaction of growing things from seeds and cuttings and I'm trying to learn as I go, using websites, books and YouTube videos (and of course help from lovely people like yourselves). Lots of my plants and cuttings are doing brilliantly but I am well aware that much of what I try will fail as I slowly learn. Please excuse my ignorance! 

13/09/2013 at 17:36

http://theseedsite.co.uk/

Have a look on the germination page here.

Astrantia is a cold germinater, outside or cold greenhouse. No heat. They'll germinate in the spring. It's what happens naturally. don't do anything to them other than sow them and put some grit on top. Come feb or March you can bring them in for your benefit so you can see when they germinate. 

Done like that is pretty reliable

13/09/2013 at 17:48

Exactly.

And how else does one learn except by having a go? We were all like that once upon a time and despite growing things for far too many years, there are still lots of things that I don't know about plants and growing them. We learn all the time, or at least one ought to.

Have fun with it!

13/09/2013 at 17:57

there's a lot of knowledge available on this site Helena, don't hesitate to ask. we don't all know everything.but we know a lot between us. Hardy shrubs and perennials from seed are a particular interest of mine. You won't find me answering questions on veg, or exotic or tender plants. or garden design. That's someone else's role

13/09/2013 at 20:23

Thank you everyone!

Nutcutlet, that website is fantastic, what a brilliant guide and reference point for me. Wish I had discovered it earlier!

13/09/2013 at 21:59

Growing from seed is great, been doing it a couple of years now and it's amazing how many plants you can get from a few seeds. Learnt loads on here, so always ask the question

email image
9 messages