London (change)
Today 25°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 16°C
10 messages
28/05/2014 at 21:17

Is it too late for my Rowan tree to be saved? Several of the branches have died over the winter and I have cut these out. The remaining branches have very small leaves but are still flowering and fruiting although these appear to have decreased in number also. This decrease in leaf size has been going on for 3-4 years but the branch dying seems to have accelerated this past year. I can see no signs of canker and the leaves appear healthy. I am on heavy clay and the tree is next to a wall if this is of any help. Thank you.

28/05/2014 at 22:51

Could the tree roots be waterlogged with all this rain? If there isn't enough drainage it could be drowning

28/05/2014 at 23:14

KDB.  Hi.

Trees are a wonderful source of general envireomental warnig system.  As strong and mighty that they are, they are also very sensitive.  It is good that you have cut away, damaged and poor branches.  As you are probably aware.  The British Isles has become victim to a disease known as Ash Die Back.  From the scientific realms.  It is not yet known, just how serious this pestilence might prove to be.  So advice is in a very limited supply.  You mention that leaf growth is small.  Tell me please.  Do you refer to the actual amount of new leaves is small, or, that the actual leaves are being produced smaller than normal?  As a point of observation.  Ash Die Back often shows itself as being a blackend are close to the foliage and new woody growth.  As far as I am aware.  Within the realms of the botanical sciences and backroom boffins.  There are suddenly so many afflictions to our trees.  Please contact me after having taken a closer look at your tree.  Being a great lover of trees, I will do my best to help.

28/05/2014 at 23:15

I had a tree surgeon around to look at my willow (which has to be taken down) and we were talking  over trees. He took a look at my rowan  and my whitebeam and commented that the Sorbus family (of which both are members) die a slow death....both of mine are healthy at the moment but it makes me wonder about yours. He didn't say why they die this way, when he comes back to fell my cracked willow I'll ask him some more.

28/05/2014 at 23:21

Mike, a rowan is not related to the ash family and cannot be suffering from ash dieback. It is known as a mountain ash but belongs to the Sorbus genus. Ash is from a  completely different genus - Fraxinus.

03/06/2014 at 11:01

I am having a similar  problem with my  Sorbus (a whitebeam) over the past two years and have cut out dead wood in the winter. It has both less and smaller leaves and one area is a different shade of green -  more lime than the usual grey-green. It has flowered and is producing berries. In this case the bark is pitted and fissured so is this canker? I should be very interested to know what is going on - even though I appreciate it is probably too late to save this beautiful tree.

03/06/2014 at 12:48

Hi Mike Allen

Ash die back disease does not affect Rowan trees/ Mountain ash

03/06/2014 at 13:03

Hi kdb2203

The Rowan Tree likes to be kept moist, the wall maybe drawing the moisture out of the soil

Water it regularly and give a feed with fish blood and bone, hopefully this will do the trick

03/06/2014 at 13:13

Hi wyefrome

Whitebeam can suffer from fireblight disease or apple canker disease, your description points to apple canker

04/06/2014 at 06:36

From past experience of planting Rowan in different soil conditions they will not tolerate very dry positions or waterlogging. Dig into the ground near the tree to check what the soil is like.

email image
10 messages