London (change)
Today 27°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 17°C
2 messages
17/10/2012 at 20:31

Hi all, i have raised beds made from natural stone which look great when they have plants in but thats the problem there is something that somethings that like to destroy and eat my plants and i just dont know what to do!

I believe mice are mainly to blame as we suffer from plants being choped completely off down by the base and also sometimes the plant is cut off and the root ball eaten? is this moles, rats? Also we cant keep any bulbs apart from daffs i tried some giant alliums this year but alias even these were chopped off! There are many tunnels that run through the flower beds even after you dig them over a couple of weeks later there is a new network and they even have killed established shrubs by disturbing their roots i think and my much loved clamatis's

Is there anything that can be done to address this problem without getting a cat! as i would like to see my garden look like i hoped it would instead of half eaten! 

17/10/2012 at 21:06

I suspect you might have bank voles in your garden.  I suggest humane traps then releasing them somewhere where they can live without causing a problem - some rough pastureland a few miles away perhaps. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/naturescalendar/autumn/farmland/activities/index.shtml

email image
2 messages