Start a new thread

21 to 35 of 35 replies

i have  moved my camellia plant from ground to pot and mix chicken manure with potting mix and prune all the flower buds and its in the shady area would this be any good ?

The crucial thing, Ronald, is to plant your camelia out of the early morning sun.  

Why did you move it from ground to pot?

when potting up camelias use ericaceous john innes compost 

Hi, I need to do the same thing because of building works starting next week. I have a huge old one, probably 10-15ft high. BUT how big a root ball are we talking? Is it possible to temporarily wrap the ball in something? Only because its new location may not be ready for a few days after I have to dig it up. Will that kill it?

Livo, thats pretty big. 

you have no choice but to move it.

the roots wont be overly large .....relatively compact.....but aim for as big a rootball as possible.  

Wrap in a large dustbin liner and moisten roots. prune the top by half or so.  Keep top open but out of strong dessicating winds 

Fairygirl

Good advice from Verdun -  keeping it from drying out is the key. Be kind to it once you get it in  the new location. If high winds are likely in your area, it might be worth giving it some support initially too. It will be top heavy even with a prune.

I'm just wondering why the OP 'pruned all the flower buds' on his...

Advertisement

Ah ok, thanks. So a bin liner is better than hessian? How long could I get away with leaving it like that?

I read on an Aussie site that you should cut around the 'drip line' but that would mean a root ball of about 8ft across! That would be one large bin liner 

And do you recommend any particular compost to pass around it when it goes into its new site? It's currently facing north and will unfortunately (having read the rest of this thread) now have to face south instead, but no way around that 

Livo,

bin liner around the roots.  Treat it like a pot making sure it doesnt dry out or gets too wet there.  For a few weeks.  Not sure you need dig that wide but as big as you can...guessing about 5'?

Camelias respond well to pruning.  Once growing away again it will be much bushier. Main thing is to avoid early morning sun....it prevents frozen buds thawing too quickly and then aborting.

Your soil needs to be neutral at least...I would simply mix in ericaceous john innes when planting.  

Thanks so much, this is so helpful. Right, I'd best start digging!

I'm moving at the end of July, and have an established camellia that I'd like to salvage first. It's still flowering at the moment. Is it better to leave it as long as possible before I dig it up and pot it? Should I prune it back hard first?

Let it flower then prune it back....as hard as you like;  it will be fine.  Then dig it up asap if you have a pot big enough. water it well and keep out of direct sunshine....hot sun is forecast this week to herald our summer 

I often move camelias...their roots are not the biggest and you should get a nice compact rootball.  Just cut generously around it. 

I have a pair of 30-40year old chamilias that I need to move, they're regularly pruned so are only 5-6ft. Any ideas how big  the roots might be?

Doghouse Riley

They shouldn't be too deep. You don't need to save all the roots, they're quite resilient, but I'd leave it until November.

We had three of them in the centre bed, probably twenty years old, despite regular pruning they began to dominate the garden so they had to go, I cut them down to a couple of feet tall about ten years ago, before digging them out.

This is from 2004.

But  we saved one and it regrew quite well in it's less noticeable position behind this lamp. This is a recent photo I prune it every year. Not bothered about the flowers they make a lot of mess, but we do like their leaves.

Last edited: 21 July 2016 01:22:48

Thanks for your help.

I've recently moved into the house where both of these have been planted 2ft from the rear window.

My main concern, initially, was with how much sunlight they blocked but now I'm concerned about the impact of roots on footings of the building.

So ideally I would like to move them asap. Both of these have already flowered back in May so do I really need to wait till November?

Doghouse Riley
shahid.makram says:

Thanks for your help.

I've recently moved into the house where both of these have been planted 2ft from the rear window.

My main concern, initially, was with how much sunlight they blocked but now I'm concerned about the impact of roots on footings of the building.

So ideally I would like to move them asap. Both of these have already flowered back in May so do I really need to wait till November?

See original post

I wouldn't move them in this weather, I don't think you'll have any problems with the footings of the building.

Doghouse Riley
Doghouse Riley says:
shahid.makram says:

Thanks for your help.

See original post

I wouldn't move them in this weather, I don't think you'll have any problems with the footings of the building. Nothing to stop you giving them a good prune. They grow very rapidly.

See original post