London (change)
Today 13°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 9°C
7 messages
04/03/2013 at 09:53

I have to dig up and replant an established camellia plant due to some building work scheduled in the next 2 weeks. Are camellias deep rooted? what is the best location to replant and what is the best soil conditions?

04/03/2013 at 11:14

camellias are not too deeply rooted, generally but it does depend on how big your plant is and how old.  The roots though do not spread too far. I have moved big ones without any difficulty...make sure you dig as large a rootball as possible.

Camelias like a slightly acid soil but will tolerate some lime, a little, so neutral soil is fine.  Mine are in neutral ground and do well and they are in full sun, well, from late morning to late afternoon and they flower well.   Early morning sun is a big NO not because the shrubs themselves are damaged but the buds and flowers suffer if frosted and thaw takes place too quickly. Ideally dappled shade if possible. but they can grow in sunny or shady situations. However, they are tough things.  When I plant camelias I do so at soil level, not too deep, and incorporate ericaceous compost mixed with my own soil and my own compost, water very, very well and then mulch with bark chips or compost. I find white flowering varieties need more protection from the sun and mine is tucked away in a very sheltered position.  good luck Jack

04/03/2013 at 11:41

Thank you for your advice. Much appreciated.

regards Jack

06/11/2014 at 18:30

Best time to move a camelia 

06/11/2014 at 19:14

If you can get a good rootball and your camellis is not too big you can move it now.  If it has a lot of flower buds and you don't want to jeopardise the flowers then wait until flowering is over.

out of early morning sun is a priority.....early morning sun will damage frosted flowers. Get some ericaceous compost in the mix......camellias prefer acidic soil but will tolerate a neutral soil if it's in good heart.  Dappled shade is ideal but I grow them in full sun.

06/11/2014 at 19:32

Thank you sounds good 

06/11/2014 at 19:57

I need to move a camelia and was wondering what to do - and - there was this thread.

As ever good advice easy to understand, thanks Verdun

email image
7 messages