Start a new thread

1 to 6 of 6 replies

Hello 

I’m a complete novice at gardening so as much in depth advice as possible would be very gratefully received please!

I have a lovely Camellia ‘golden spangles’ about 4-5ft tall in south UK, unfortunately due to building works (new shed going in!) it must be moved ASAP. However it’s now very late December and it has just started flowering which I believe is very early? I only need to move about 2 foot or so. Is it possible to move it now without killing it? Also can it be dug up and left for a while or must it be replanted straight away as I think it needs to be kept out of the way while the shed is built so it isn’t damaged. Should it be dug up with a root ball? If so how wide  deep should that be? 

Any and all help is much appreciated! 

Thanks all!

They can be moved but it it is risky. Dig up with as big a rootball as you can manage, you could wrap it (the rootball) in plastic for afew days but best get it back in the ground ASAP.

Obelixx

Or else pot it up in large pot - 60cm diameter minimum - with ericaceous compost and keep it safe till all the building work is done.  That will give you time to prepare the soil well before you replant.

Give it a generous drink of a couple of gallons of rain water and let it soak in for an hour or two then start working to release as much root ball as possible.   If it seems dry, water again and then try again.   Protect the roots with compost below, round and above to the same level as before then move it to somewhere sheltered from wind and easterly sunshine.  Water after moving (or it will be too heavy) and keep it moist until you're ready to plant again.

You may lose this year's flowers but you should keep your shrub.   When you do re-plant, feed it with some fertiliser for rhodos and azaleas as this will help keep it healthy and encourage flower buds to form again in late summer.  Keep it moist for its first year in its new home while it settles down again. 

Thank you so much! Both really helpful! 

Mike Allen

Be patient.  Wait until it's flowered.

Advertisement

Doghouse Riley

I've found them pretty resilient, whenever I've moved them. Like cutting an eight foot one down to about a foot, digging it out and planting it somewhere else, due to necessity and at the wrong time of the year!