London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 13°C
5 messages
26/02/2013 at 13:52

Has anyone successfully moved a Cotinus? I have one (Cotinus coggygria 'Velvet Cloak'), which I think is 6 or 7 years old, but I've always felt I planted it in the wrong place. I'm wondering if moving it would be a option or would just be likely to kill it. As I want to move it from back to front garden, the other option would be taking a cutting (or layering maybe?) to get another plant for the front - any tips/experience on this would be appreciated too.

26/02/2013 at 14:08

Why not take cuttings and layer this year and then move next year when you have relacements if it dies.  Should be able to move it as you can prune them back hard so if you kept a decent rootball I would expect it to take in the new spot.

26/02/2013 at 14:13

Yes, that sounds like a sensible option - I'm just being impatient in wanting to move it now! But it's a gorgeous plant which I wouldn't want to lose so probably would be good to create a back up first just in case.

26/02/2013 at 18:43
Tulip girl, if you dont mind extra expense buy another plant. I don't think you can move it.....6 or 7 years means it will,have an extensive root system. I have done it but it sulked for a year or so. Cuttings are very easy...I prune mine about now and use the prunings for cuttings. Mine are about 3 to 6 inches long and inserted round rim of 1 litre pot. Layering is good too. If you did decide to buy new one why not go for Royal Purple? It's slightly darker, I think, more blackly/purple, so you have two different varieties. Grown with a eucalyptus gunnii or miscanthus variegatus or philadelphus aureus your royal purple will look stunning in summer
28/02/2013 at 21:05

Thanks Verdun. I did think of buying another plant but I don't really want to keep the one I have in its current position as I think I put it in the wrong place to start with, and it's also outgrown it's space and you can't see it from the house which is such a shame that you don't get to see the lovely autumn foliage from the windows, so I thought it would be worth  trying to move it but I would buy another one if the move killed it & I wasn't able to take a cutting. The place I have for it in my front garden is right in view of my front window so I think it would look lovely both from the house and the street. I am tempted by Royal Purple but I love Velvet Cloak. TBH if I had the space I would have every different Cotinus - they are gorgeous plants! I really like the idea of the miscanthus with it - that would look lovely - thanks for the idea.

email image
5 messages