London (change)
Today 18°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 19°C / 14°C
4 messages
28/09/2012 at 18:11

I have a rose bush which I planted a year ago, however I realise now after quite a lot of heavy rain this year it is in a spot where water seems to collect, so I want to re-plant it in slightly higher place.  Is now a good time to do it?  It has long finished flowering and I am wondering do I lift it as it is, or do I prune it right back (it is sill only only small)

Thanks

28/09/2012 at 20:40

Although I think you would wait a little longer to move a rose - I have several waiting myself - because of the water issue I would personally move it now. The water may kill it and you will have no rose. Keep a root ball and get it back in the soil straight away. Geoff Hamilton used to advocate a bucket of water over it, dig it up, move it, plant it and another bucket of water. He reckoned any plant would be fine at any time if you did that.

30/09/2012 at 19:05

Thank you for the advice, that sounds nice and straightforward!  I shall get to it asap.

Out of interest when is usually the best time to move a rose?  As I assumed it was best to get it bedded into a new spot before the worst of winter sets in (although I hear arctic temps and snow are on the way for the next few weeks?!)

30/09/2012 at 19:36
caz11 wrote (see)

Thank you for the advice, that sounds nice and straightforward!  I shall get to it asap.

Out of interest when is usually the best time to move a rose?  As I assumed it was best to get it bedded into a new spot before the worst of winter sets in (although I hear arctic temps and snow are on the way for the next few weeks?!)

First thing take no notice of arctic wind and snow forecasts-where did you hear this?-the same thing was forecast this time last year and nothing happened till January-the only reliable forecast is 4/5 days ahead

The best time to move a rose is when it is dormant-so leave for another month or so-planting times for roses are November providing the ground isn't frozen.

email image
4 messages