Start a new thread
MrsGarden

I really want to move my alliums to a different site in the garden. I know I should wait but im pretty sure impatience will get the better of me as I want their present site for something else.

Am I mad to move them or could I get away with it? Any advice please?

Have they died down after flowering? Are you staring at a load of bulbs? If they have and you are, then I think you could give it a go.

MrsGarden

thanks.  they have finished and dried up but still have dry heads on. The bulbs are planted very deep.

Berghill

Good a time as any to find the bulbs and move them, at least the flower/seed heads show you where to dig. They will only be loosley attached to the bulb in any case.

ZombieGardener

The butterflies enjoying mine last Monday. 

Advertisement

MrsGarden

Thanks folks, tried 1 yesterday but sliced a bit of bulb off, will persevere today more carefully. Have prepared site for them to go to.

Nice pic zombie

Hi, I moved a few aliums two seasons ago and they have survived perfectly well - give it a go!  If you need the space for something else then you have no choice anyway.  

MrsGarden

Zombie - I didn't get around to it today, partly cos I'm still a bit nervous.

Berghill

Well, we moved a couple of dozen today. Not intentionally, but  we had to remove a self seeded huge shrubby Lonicera and up came a huge clump of Allium Globemaster with it.

I was almost forced to move 8 to 10 bulbs today, but they are already coming out..

Is that harmfull to the plant to move them while they are about to go into flowering modus? Or in spring? Because I think it might take a while thoug before they will acually flower... unless I have messed it up and won't have any flowers at all